Light switch change. Now won't work...

Old 09-06-16, 05:38 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light switch change. Now won't work...

I am in the middle of replacing all old outlets and switches to new. Got to the kitchen light which is controlled by 3 switches. One 3way at back door. One three way by hallway entrance and one 4 way by living room entrance. I removed the 4 way and the three way by the hallway entrance. Went to buy a 4 way and some three way switches. Got back home and went to rewire the switches and I can't seem to get the light to work correctly no matter how I wire these switches. I have tried so many different ways that I can't remember how the old switches were wired. Any ideas what to do?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-16, 05:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
On the 3-way switches did you mark which wire was connected to the common terminal (odd colored [not green] screw)? That is the key wire for the 3-way switches. Note the common terminal may be in a different position on the new switch so you must go by screw color.

Old 09-06-16, 05:43 PM
B
Also, the three way by the back door. I haven't replaced or even fooled with it yet...

Old 09-06-16, 05:47 PM
B
One other thing that is odd. I am now able to get the light to turn on. But when I turn the light switch off by the back door. That shuts off the power to my microwave above the stove. That switch has its own breaker. At least there is a breaker labeled microwave in my breaker box. I'm even more lost now...

Old 09-06-16, 05:50 PM
B
Ray, I'll look at that when I get back to the house. Have to run to get my son from practice. Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 09-06-16, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 602 Votes on 567 Posts
But when I turn the light switch off by the back door. That shuts off the power to my microwave above the stove.
That sounds like you opened too many connections.
Which switch is controlling the microwave and how many total wires were on that switch ?

Old 09-06-16, 06:03 PM
B
There is just an outlet for the microwave tov plug in to. It has its own breaker.

Old 09-06-16, 11:43 PM
B
Finally figured it out. Had the wrong wires hooked to the 3 way by the hallway. The wires that I thought were the traveler wires were not. Switched those two wires around and everything including the microwave worked as expected! It's now almost 245 a.m. time for some much needed sleep...lol

Thanks for all the input and ideas!! I'm learning as I go....

Old 09-06-16, 11:52 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Good job! Thanks for letting us know the outcome.