Need help with switch wiring

Old 09-07-16, 09:56 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with switch wiring

Hi, so I have an unusual situation where I stupidly removed all the wires from a switched box w/o taking a picture cause I want to temporarily remove the switch. but when I when to hook everything back up less the switch, I created a short. let me explain. I have a 3 gang box with switches on it for a fan, the fan's light, and a bank of high hats. I didn't realize all of them were powered by a 4th switch located elsewhere that has no effect on these 3 switches whether it's on or off. now that I undid everything, I can get the fan and fan light to work, but the high hats create a short.

Referring to the diagram (all the grounds removed for simplicity). 1 and 2 have power when the breaker is on. the rest don't. 3,4,5 are the fan. when I hook up black to black, yellow (neutral) to yellow, red unused and capped (not sure why this is there), the fan and fan light, both on separate switches, work fine. if I hook 7 to 2 (neutral to neutral), the circuit shorts. if i just hook 6 to 1 (black to black), lights still don't work. I'm guessing that 6 and 7 might have been part of a switch loop, but no one marked the neutral as hot.

I'm trying to get the 6 and 7, which presumably powers the high hats on a switch to work. can anyone help? does this make sense?

Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  21.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-16, 10:14 AM
Received 66 Votes on 62 Posts
What happens if you splice 6&7? My guess is that if you test between 7&2 you will see 120 volts.

Old 09-07-16, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,029 Votes on 955 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm guessing that 6 and 7 might have been part of a switch loop, but no one marked the neutral as hot
C'mon now.... when is the last time you saw a neutral properly remarked ?

You will need to check for power between 6 and ground and 7 and ground.
If you do find power then you have a switch loop.

Old 09-07-16, 10:45 AM
C
thanks for the replies. 6 and 7 have no power on their own. I can touch them. however, I haven't tried testing with the switch that controls those lights on. Are you saying to join those wires together and then hit the switch, that would close the circuit and the lights would work? Sorry if I'm not following.

joining 7 and 2 causes the breaker to pop

Old 09-07-16, 11:04 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you have a multimeter, preferably analog? You will need one for testing. (A non contact tester won't work.)

Old 09-07-16, 11:09 AM
C
I have good one, but it's digital

Old 09-07-16, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,029 Votes on 955 Posts
You feel that 6 and 7 go to the recessed lights.

I haven't tried testing with the switch that controls those lights on
Then you mention turning on another switch that also controls the recessed lights ???
How does that work ??

Old 09-07-16, 01:03 PM
C
yes, an electrician took the high hats off of the circuit I'm playing around with and made a new wall switch somewhere else. All I know is that they don't work now and wires 6 & 7 being disconnected have taken them off line. Like I said, I got the fan and fan light to work again by hooking them into 1 & 2. but hooking 6 & 7 in straight up blows the fuse, specifically the neutral to neutral

Old 09-07-16, 01:29 PM
Touching 2&7 and it trips the breaker that would lead me to believe that 7 is live from the light fixtures, splicing 6&7 together should turn the lights on,test it

Old 09-07-16, 01:36 PM
C
thanks. I'll give it a shot

Old 09-07-16, 05:34 PM
C
no dice. as I mentioned earlier, these wires are dead. remote switch on or off. connecting them together does nothing. I'm really at a loss

Old 09-09-16, 04:54 AM
Not quite sure how you can have fan and fan light on 2 separate switches when you only have 2 conductors going to the fan/ light,you said red was capped off,did this circuit ever work correctly?

Old 09-09-16, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Tried to read this but got confused. Lets start from wall switch You have a white and black power in? What do you have going out to fan, light? wire color white, black,, or white white, black, red. or another color? Are you going through a remote wireless control? All wireless controls I have worked on only have power to control and than light and fan is controlled by remote.