Smoking Dryer Receptacle

Old 04-21-01, 12:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

History first:
A few days ago there was a faint burnt plastic smell coming from my dryer. I thought it might be the belt. Today I tried running the dryer to see if I could localize the problem.

Soon the smell returned and was stronger, and seemed to be coming from behind the dryer. When I looked, the receptacle (which is 4-prong) was smoking. The smoke was coming from between the receptacle and the face-plate, I think.

I turned the dryer off, and unplugged the dryer. One prong on the plugged (the prong that goes in the left-most hole in the receptacle) had burnt goo on in (looked like burnt soldering flux, but it was probably plastic). That prong was also hot to touch, but the other three were cool/room-temperature.

There aren't any obvious problems with the dryer.
The house and dryer are about 2 years old.
The circuit breaker didn't trip.

I'm guessing that I will at least need to replace the recepticle, but is there anything else I need to look into?

(Feel free to ask if there is more information that would be useful. I don't really know what to look for.)

TIA,
James

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-01, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For the cost of the dryer recepticle , it is not much expense, replace the receptable first. The dryer is one of yoru higher current appliciances in the house, any kind on poor connection at the plug could cause problems, the plug should handle the max current rating of the breaker. After you replace the dryer plug, repost if the problem is solved or we need to look further. Or could be just a loose connection screw at the dryer plug.

Let us know the plug is an easy thing to change before we look at our possibilities or the dryer itself.

Old 04-21-01, 09:09 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
I would replace both the receptacle and the dryer cord set. The failure could have started in the molded plug assembly where the cord is attached to the prong.
Don(resqcapt19)

Old 04-22-01, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would agree with resqcapt19 , change them both.

Old 04-22-01, 08:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Okay, I changed both, and everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks again for your help.

James