Bridge Utility Pole Breakers

Old 09-12-16, 09:06 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bridge Utility Pole Breakers

House and Shop.
Both go back to the utility pole on separate lines.
I was hoping to use a Network Powerline unit from the house to the shop but no go.

I am pretty sure the big cables and brown line in the left conduit go to the house and the double breaker on the bottom and striped cable in the right conduit go to the shop.

Is it possible without losing current line safety? So not removing the double breaker and moving the shop cables up to the big cable clamps.
Reading up on phase couplers but haven't come across anything showing it on a utility pole.

Update: I remembered that I have an x10 xpcr unit that I bought a few years ago but never used. https://www.amazon.com/X10-XPCR-Coup.../dp/B000CSY16E
Would that work?

Am I looking at 4 110v cables here? 2 at the top with the big clamps and then two at the bottom breaker?

Thanks

Name:  IMG_20160912_212922.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  33.2 KB

Last edited by kramttocs; 09-12-16 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-12-16, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
No...you cannot move the wires from the smaller breaker and attach them to the larger one.

Are you trying to get the X-10 signals to travel from the home to the shop ?

That unit is a bridge from one leg of the 240v to the other. It can't bridge one service to the other.

However, Since both services are tied together in that panel..... they should travel from building to building unless the wiring is just too long.

What is the problem you're having ?

It looks like that big breaker controls the house and the smaller one controls the shop.
I'm guessing there is meter above this panel ?

Name:  IMG_20160912_212922.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  42.9 KB

Old 09-13-16, 08:30 AM
K
Sorry, that whole x10 update was misleading.
I am actually not using x10 but wanting to use a Network Powerline unit (so send internet over the electrical lines) via something like this

Currently I can plug the two units into two outlets in the house and it all works. I am unable to plug one in the house and one in the barn and get them to talk to each other. I was thinking it was because the two services in the utility pole box were separated but sounds like that's not the case.
The utility pole is quite a ways away (guessing 200 feet) so traveling 400 feet there and back from house to shop may just not be possible. That may be the real issue like you said.

Yes, there is a meter above the photo.

Unfortunately I think you've answered my question

Old 09-13-16, 10:16 AM
A
Received 48 Votes on 43 Posts
That is a long run but there is still a chance it would work. You should try plugging into a different circuit/leg in the barn. An X10 bridge is used to enable communication between legs. Since both legs are present in both the house and barn you had a 50% chance of being on the same leg and not need the bridge.

Old 09-13-16, 11:15 AM
K
Good thinking.
I am pretty sure all of the outlet circuits in the barn are on one leg so I plugged the base network unit into an outlet out there and then went around with the receiver to a number of outlets all over the house and wellhouse but no luck.

Just want to be clear again that I am not using x10 although I assume it's very similar technology.

So we're confident that the utility pole breaker (photo) doesn't have the two (house/shop) completely isolated? And that the issue is either too long of a run there and back or me hitting outlets on different legs [which I think is unlikely after this last test].

Also, just for my own curiosity, why can't the lines from the bottom breaker be moved up to the large posts with the large cable? Again, not doing it, just curious.

Old 09-13-16, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
First.... those large lugs are the single wire type.

Second... the breakers are sized to protect the wire.
It looks like bottom breaker is 60-100A while that top breaker looks to be 150-200A.

Third... if you moved both service lines to one breaker.... that breaker would be overloaded.

Those powerline adapters sometimes have a hard time working in a large home.
How far apart are the buildings ? Maybe a wireless link would be better.

Old 09-13-16, 11:57 AM
K
Thanks. Makes perfect sense.
They aren't really very far apart (50ft or so) and I've been using a cheap TPLink DDWRT repeater but was hoping for something more stable since it doesn't do so hot with the wifi link in a metal building.
Burying the line in conduit is a little difficult due to what all is in between the two buildings so looks like I'll test out some better, directional repeaters that I can mount outside the shop.

Appreciate all of the help.

Old 09-13-16, 09:20 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 142 Posts
Another option would be to direct bury some ethernet cabling. For a 50' run, it should be pretty easy.

The best option is conduit as you said with waterproof Cat 5e/6 cable, but even an off-the-shelf 100' cable buried a couple inches in the ground will give you a number of years of reliable internet. Eventually, it'll rot or get cut by an errant shovel, but for $20 or so, it seems like it might be worthwhile.

Old 09-13-16, 09:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I did an overhead Ethernet to a garage using the cheapest patch cord on Ebay. Worked fine for 2+ years till I no longer needed it. IIRC it was $7 for a 100' patch cord. I used " rope as a messenger.

Old 09-14-16, 09:02 AM
M
For others trying to get carrier-current communications to work, I have been using X10 and other systems for over 30 years. It is amazing how some devices having nothing to do with carrier current can block the signals just by being plugged into an outlet. I have had trouble with all of the following devices:

- CFL light bulbs
- LED light bulbs
- Fluorescent lamp fixture
- Emergency power failure flashlight
- Computer
- Older computer noise suppressing outlet strip
- Studio audio mixer
- TV set
- Bug zapper
- Electrostatic air filter
- Touch Lamp (X10 signal also caused the lamp to turn on and off)
- Motion detector security lamps

The following helped to restore the signals:
- Moving the device to a different outlet
- Buying a different brand of device
- Removing a surge-protector power strip
- Putting a clamp-on choke on the power cord
- Building a special choke-input filter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: