Bonding/Grounding Question

Old 09-17-16, 01:06 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bonding/Grounding Question

I recently added Sharkbite connectors into my waterline to add water hammer arrestors for new hi-efficiency washer, and in doing so did not know that adding those would break the continuity of the electrical grounding.

In looking at it the existing wiring the I have I believe it is a bonding wire that comes directly from my electrical box and goes first to the water line, and then onto my gas line. And the bonding clamp on the water line is after the SharkBite Valve, thus is believe it is no longer acting as a ground.

In looking to fix and move the clamps, does it matter if the wire goes from the electrical box to first the gas line and then the water line? Or is recommended to go from the electrical box to the water line and then to the gas line?

Old 09-17-16, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Typically...... the gas service is not bonded. Are you in the city proper..... five boros ?
Yes... the sharkbites break the ground.

Old 09-17-16, 05:07 PM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
You will need to put a new clamp on the water line (if metal) within 5 feet of where it goes through the wall and underground to the water main or well, and without Sharkbites or the meter in between. Then you will need to re-arrange the bonding wire from the breaker panel so it goes to this new clamp without splices. Then it is possible the bonding wire will no longer reach the gas pipe (after the gas meter) in which case you can splice on an extension.

Add (if not already there) bonding jumper wires of like kind (clamps at both ends; usually #4 copper; I don't have the NEC sizing table handy now) across Sharkbites, across the water meter inlet/outlet pipes, and across the water heater inlet/outlet.

If there is any gas appliance that uses electricity and is connected to an up to date grounded branch circuit and is connected to the gas supply with rigid metal pipe then it is not necessary to stretch a bonding wire to the gas plumbing.

No grounding wire or jumper is attached to the gas pipe upstream of the gas meter.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-17-16 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-17-16, 05:49 PM
P
Thanks for the help guys.

I do have copper water pipes and and black iron gas line. But also have further into the house a T off the gas line with a short range of CSST piping installed as part of a remodel.

@AllenJ.. I believe you answered my question. So yes, in re-arranging the bonding wire. From the electrical box, you must first go to the water line. And then from there, you can continue on to the gas line.

Or is OK to go to the Gas line First? Which in my case would make things much simpler in the re-arrange.

@PJMax....No, not in the 5 boroughs. I'm in that other forgotten part of the state.. Buffalo, NY. The existing wire is bonded first to the water and then to the gas. I didn't do that, but with the CSST tubing further down the line believe you do need to bond your gas line.

Old 09-17-16, 07:55 PM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
You can put a bonding jumper (with clamps) across the section of CSST in the same manner as you might put a bonding jumper across a section of plastic water pipe or across a water heater inlet/outlet in order to continue grounding to the (rigid) (metal) pipe beyond.

Old 09-21-16, 06:17 PM
P
Hi guys,

Got another question, which I think will generate the same answer.

As I work to get going on this basement finishing project, I have/had plans to install a BasePump RB750 water powered backup pump. And reading through their instructions they also use SharkBite or other push to connect fittings to T off the water to the pump.

Thus again, I think you need to ensure your bonding clamp from your electrical box to your (copper) water line is placed before your T off to stay grounded?

Surprisingly I see nothing from BasePumps install instructions or anywhere else of this issue.

Old 09-21-16, 06:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The pump is grounded by the circuit wiring.

The order of bonding does not matter. What matters is the location of the connection of the GEC to the water line. This should be within 5' of where it enters the house.

Last edited by pcboss; 09-21-16 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 08:58 AM
P
@PCBoss.

Thanks. Everything, incoming water lines, electrical box, and sump pump are all in same corner of the house. So the ground/bonding wire from the electrical box to the gas line and then onto the water line is no more than 3 or 4 feet.

And being able to go from the electric box to the gas line and then onto the water line (before any sharkbite connections) should be easy enough.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: