Need help: no lights or receptacle power.

Old 09-29-16, 06:18 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help: no lights or receptacle power.

For about a month now me and my husband have trying to figure out why we are missing power on our right side of our kitchen. No breakers tripped no GFI outlet was installed when it went out. Now we have replaced all outlets and switches with brand new ones. And still nothing. We have went thru and tested everything down to the switches which found one thing odd when testing switches we had a resistance of 40.3 ohm on a double switch. Please can someone shed some light on this. I mean is there something we are missing.

Old 09-29-16, 06:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Using a multimeter measure the voltage at the breaker.
when testing switches we had a resistance of 40.3 ohm on a double switch.
Please explain why you did this and how. It is not a test you would normally do.

Usual steps apply to troubleshooting this if the breaker show good. Check all connections, move any wires inserted in to the back of a device (back stabs) to the screws, and redo any wire but connections. The problem could be in a working deice box so all connections must be checked.

Note non GFCI receptacles have no mystery parts to go bad so replacing won't help unless you inadvertently fix a loose connection. Wide spread problems will not be caused by a bad switch but bad connections in the switch box could.

Old 09-29-16, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,317 Likes on 2,980 Posts
In addition to what Ray posted..... your reading a resistance of a light fixture (bulb)
when the switch is in the off position. That would be normal and not helpful in finding the problem.

When there is a widespread power outage..... you need to determine every device on that circuit.
Then you need to determine if everything is out on that circuit or something is working.

Old 09-30-16, 03:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I say go back one step further to find out exactly what the circuit services, then pull all those receptacles with the power off to check the connections. It may not be with the dead receptacles, but with the last live one which is feeding the rest.

Old 09-30-16, 07:08 AM
W
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Circuit

No breakers tripped no GFI outlet was installed when it went out
Just for fun, turn the breaker off and back on. Some breakers look like they are not tripped, when in fact they are tripped.

Old 10-02-16, 06:39 AM
A
Received 120 Likes on 100 Posts
Amanda: Just another little suggestion if I may. Even though the power went out on the "right" side of your kitchen please be sure that all GFCI receptacles are operating within the kitchen itself. And even then, look for other GFCI receptacles in the home. Make sure any you find, even some you may find you did not even know you had be sure they are reset. I found a GFCI in a basement by the panel once which protected the bathroom and kitchen receptacles; against code yes, but people do things to save money and just don't know the codes. I have found GFCI receptacles in homes that people have lived in for years that they did not even know they had.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: