Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replacing Dimmer switch that is also attached to a non-dimmable switch

Old 09-30-16, 06:03 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So my basement has two switches: One on top of the stairs that is non-dimmable and another one in the basement that is. I would like to replace the dimmer switch as I want to replace all the old power suckers with new LED dimmable bulbs. Given this situation do you think it is a regular dimmer that I am replacing? I was thinking about replacing it with this dimmer: From Home Depot

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-16, 06:35 AM
D
It doesn't matter what's there now. You need to replace it with an LED rated dimmer.
The one you referenced should be good to go.
I say should be because not all LED dimmers are the same.
Go to the bulb manufactures site and find their list of approved/tested dimmers to see it yours is on the list.

Old 09-30-16, 04:49 PM
J
FWIW, if you have an electrical supplier in your area check out their prices. I needed some electrical supplies and the supply house was less expensive than HD and local hardware stores.

Old 09-30-16, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 175 Votes on 157 Posts
I have found dimmers to be hit or miss with LED bulbs. Some that claim to be LED compatible do not perform as well as others. The biggest difference between a LED rated dimmer and one that is not is the ability to adjust the dimming limits. You may have to try different dimmers to get the performance you want.

The dimmer you linked to is a LED rated dimmer and will work as a three way and single pole switch.