Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Distinguishing between positive and negative wires on a water pump power cord

Old 09-30-16, 09:15 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have bought a pump for our swamp cooler and have a question. it comes with an AC plug which I have to cut off, as the power wires insert individually into slots on the control unit. I know that the green wire is the ground. Is there a way to distinguish between positive and negative wires on the power cord? For example - is the wire that is to the bigger of the two plug prongs one or the other?

Hard to describe, but hopefully you get the point.

Thanks

Old 09-30-16, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
There is no positive or negative with AC.... just hot and neutral.

Usually the wires are colored..... green for ground, white for neutral and black for hot.
The larger prong on a plug is the neutral connection while the smaller one is the hot connection.

Old 10-01-16, 04:53 AM
A
Received 137 Votes on 126 Posts
Are you saying that the control unit terminals are labeled "positive" or plus sign and "negative" or minus sign? That would indicate that a low voltage DC pump is needed.

This emphasizes the importance of labeling wires and terminals before unhooking things. Then you will know which wire came off the bigger prong and is the neutral.

Old 10-01-16, 06:47 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks.

I haven't disconnected the old one yet, but you can tell that it is an AC cord and that the plug was cut off and the wires split. There is a green ground wire and the two others. I think your response is all I need to know. If I have any questions, I will take a pic of the control box before disconnected the old one and forward.

Have a great day.

CK

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: