Eaton GFCI/switch installation

Old 10-04-16, 08:40 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Eaton GFCI/switch installation

I'm about to install a GFCI/switch by Eaton to provide a plug next to a sink as well as control the light for the bathroom over the sink. The device's installation pamphlet can be found here: http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...EIS-0019-E.pdf

I will probably be using the configuration in part A of step 7 with black wire from breaker box going in to the top brass post, common white wire to the silver post and ground to green ground post to power the single plug. My question is the only thing that seems to work to my understanding is the switch. With the ohm meter I can see the rocker switch make and break the connection. But there is no other evidence of continuity between any other post on the receptacle in any given combination of contact points with the meter and regardless of whether the switch is on or off. Is this because the internal electronics prevent low voltage from the meter from flowing through? If this is the case am I right in assuming that the "A" configuration powers both the plug as well as the switch while the "B" configuration is only used to provide "daisy-chain" service to downstream plugs? OR, since the switch should only be making and breaking the "hot" wire is the switch electrically isolated from the rest of the GFCI receptacle and operating independently?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-16, 09:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You seem to be making a simple thing more complicated. The switch and the GFCI receptacle are independent of each other. Unless there are special circumstances the light does not need GFCI protection.

The load side of the device (usually covered with yellow tape) is not used.
  • One wire from the switch and the black wire of power in cable go to the line side of the brass terminal. (Usually the terminal will hold two wires or you can pigtail.*)
  • White wire of power in white wire and white wire to light go to the line silver side. (Usually the terminal will hold two wires or you can pigtail.*)
  • Black of power out to the light and the other switch wire are wire nutted together.
Grounds are connected per code.

* It appears the GFCI receptacle terminals only accept one wire so you will need to pigtail your wires.
  • Attach the black power in wire and one switch wire to a 6"-8" length of black wire and that pigtail to the brass line terminal.
  • Attach white power in and white to light to a 6"-8" length of white wire and that pigtail to the silver line terminal.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-04-16 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 04:52 AM
O
It certainly wouldn't be the first time I made a mountain out of a mole hill, LOL. No, the light doesn't need GFI protection, I simply wanted to put as much in one place as I could due to space limitations on this bathroom project I'm trying to wrap up and found this combination switch, GFCI receptacle at Lowe's. After reading the instruction pamphlet it LOOKED as if there was a separation between the plug and switch but it didn't really spell it out in the instructions. Thanks for clearing it up.

Old 10-05-16, 05:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Oh, and it isn't a plug. It is a receptacle. If you need more help post back. My diagrams are crude but I can post one if you need it that may be clearer than the instructions or at least give you a different viewpoint.

Old 10-05-16, 07:07 AM
O
Receptacle, got it. Do appreciate the time you put in to this site!