Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Help wiring wink relay from single pole and 3 way switches.

Old 10-07-16, 10:18 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I need a bit of help to troubleshoot my installation. I want to install a wink relay where there used to be two switches: a 3 way switch for a light, the second switch is also for a light (outdoor porch light) and it is single pole.
The wink relay has four electrical wires coming out for the install: a white (neutral), two reds (load) and a black (line). I connected the black relay to my black common line from my 3 way switch (that black was attached to a black screw). When I took that switch out, there were two other cords a black (that black was attached to a gold screw) and a red. I put both on one of the red line of the relay. When I took out the second switch (single pole) two black cords were connected to it. One was going into the wall (I am guessing toward the light), I connected that to the second red relay. The second black on the single pole was connected to a wire nut that was between the 2 old switches (the black common line from the 3 way switch was going to that nut as well). I took that second black wire out when I removed the switch (discarded it). I added a new white wire to go from the white relay to the white wire nut (neutral) bunched up in the back of the box. I thought this would set things in series and I would be set. When I put the power back on both new switches that come with the wink relay turn on and off and everything is great. My only issue is that my 3way switch on the other side of the room is now useless: I can switch it up in either position and it does not affect how the relay works. Again the wink relay works well.
I guess by connecting both red and black travellers on one of the red relay it is connecting things down stream and the 3 way is in essence bypassed giving full control from the relay. Is there a wiring change I can do to bring my other switch back to life?
Thanks!

Old 10-08-16, 12:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I guess by connecting both red and black travelers on one of the red relay it is connecting things down stream and the 3 way is in essence bypassed giving full control from the relay.
Bingo!!

Is there a wiring change I can do to bring my other switch back to life?
Maybe.... if we had some idea what you're using.... like a model number or factory wiring diagram.

It sounds like you took a single 3 way capable relay and used it to control two different lights. That isn't going to work. You'll need a relay for the 3 way switch and one relay for the single pole switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: