Can I install a 15-amp GFCI outlet in the bathroom?

Old 10-09-16, 11:39 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I install a 15-amp GFCI outlet in the bathroom?

Hi guys, I'd like to install an outlet in a bathroom, which will be just below a light switch, which is on a 15amp circuit. I'm planning to connect a new piece of cable in the box for the switch and drop it behind the wall, into the new box for the outlet. Since it's a bathroom I'm getting a GFCI outlet, however I'm finding mixed information about whether it can be on a 15amp circuit. At the same time you can obviously buy a 15amp GFCI outlet. I've noticed that all other GFCI outlets in my house (including another one in the same bathroom) are on 20amp *dedicated* circuits. Will I be doing something that's not by the code if I were to install a 15amp outlet there? And if I can do it, how can I make sure that I can add another receptacle to this particular circuit (where the lights are)? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-16, 02:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'd like to install an outlet in a bathroom, which will be just below a light switch, which is on a 15amp circuit.
First you need to open the switch box and see if you have power at the switch. Many older homes use switch loops and there is no neutral at the switch so no power for a receptacle. If the switch box has only two wires, a black and white, connected to the switch then there is no neutral for a receptacle.

As to can you have a GFCI 15 amp circuit the answer is yes if it is in addition to the required dedicated 20 amp receptacle circuit.

Note please fill in your location in your profile. In the U.S. you can in most cases use a 15 amp GFCI receptacle on a 20 amp circuit. In Canada you can.

Old 10-09-16, 08:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
The NEC requirement is for a 20 amp circuit to serve the bathroom receptacle (s). A 15 amp gfi receptacle can be used as it is two receptacles.