Proper way to ground electric panel?

Old 10-11-16, 09:53 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper way to ground electric panel?

Hello, I have an older house in NY and my electric panel currently does not have an earth ground, I would like to replace this panel and it was recommended by a friend that I install an earth ground. This same friend said the earth ground has to be at the electric meter however my meter is on a service pole 200'+/- away from the house; does it mater where I drive my grounding rod in? Is there a better way to ground it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-16, 10:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
What does the local AHJ have to say about this?

Old 10-11-16, 10:57 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Generally both locations (pole & house) will require an earth grounding electrode. You'll have to verify for sure with the local inspector, but the three-wire feeder between the pole and the house will probably be grandfathered.

At the house if you have a metal pipe municipal water service, that must be your primary earth ground electrode by bonding within 5 feet of where the pipe enters the house. If you do not have water service, you can use 8' ground rods, a steel well casing or a few other options if neither of those can work.

Old 10-12-16, 02:08 PM
Received 84 Votes on 74 Posts
How many wires do you have between the disconnect at the meter and the house; 3 or 4?

Old 10-12-16, 07:37 PM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
If there is no whole-house switch or breaker under the meter at the pole then the panel in the house is the "main panel" and the (service) cable between meter and panel needs two hots and a third conductor that doubles as ground and neutral.

In all cases the house panel needs the grounding electrodes described previously. With the main disconnect at the pole, the house is treated as a detached structure and the first panel in a detached structure needs to be grounded as described previously.

Old 10-14-16, 10:28 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you for the replies, I do not know off had if the wire line coming in is 3 or 4 wires but I will check that when I get home. There is a shut off under the meter at the pole. I was planning on using two 8' grounding rods for the ground. I have not checked yet with any local inspectors, I tried searching out local electrical inspectors but could not find any, is there such a thing or would my local codes office be the one to work through?

Old 10-14-16, 01:18 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Most of the time, the contact point for codes and inspection would usually be your local government such as city, township or county building department. Sometimes in rural areas you need to work directly with the responsible state government agency if the local government does not perform that function.