Outlet Box Hookup

Old 10-16-16, 10:59 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlet Box Hookup

Three wires are extending from the conduit that runs through the house to an outside outlet box...one RED (that was previously connected to a well pump), one BLACK, and one WHITE. There's no GREEN (ground) wire.

The black & white wires ran from this box (specifically for the well pump) to a second outlet box that contained two outlets for general purposes (extension cords, timer box, etc).

I purchased a single outside weather resistant box to replace both previous boxes. I capped the RED wire and connected the white to a neutral terminal on the replaced outlet switch and the BLACK wire to the HOT terminal, thinking this would make the box functional. However, when I turned the power back on, it tripped the circuit breaker and the power went out.

What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-16, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We don't know exactly the functions of the wiring. Can we assume that the well pump was not 240v ?
The conduit is the ground in your application.

From what you are saying.... you are connecting two wires to two different terminals on a receptacle. That in itself should not create any type of short.

Did you put the black and white on the same terminal ?