Can I substitute an NRC for a NI-MH battery?

Old 10-18-16, 02:03 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Can I substitute an NRC for a NI-MH battery?

I have an outdoor decoration (owl that lights up) which has an NI-MH AAA-300 MAH 1.2 V battery that is recharge by a small solar panel which is attached to it and when it gets dark outside a small light comes on within the fixture.

The charge lasts a very short period time and I know I could buy a 600 MAH or higher NI-MH and the charge might last longer but I was wondering if I could substitute a non rechargeable AAA 1.5 V battery instead ? I think I can BUT """

Thanks ...

Old 10-18-16, 02:07 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
You can as long as you disable the solar charging circuit. Do not attempt to charge a standard battery.

Old 10-18-16, 03:24 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks ... any idea how I determine what is the charging circuit ?

Thanks..

Old 10-18-16, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,532 Votes on 1,415 Posts
The solar panel should be connected to the board with two wires. Cut one.

Question: how long do you think an AAA battery will last ?

Old 10-19-16, 06:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 914 Votes on 841 Posts
The problem with your fixture is likely not the battery. On all the ones I've checked it's the solar panel that limits your run time. The tiny panel simply cannot generate enough power to put a full charge into the battery. The battery is run down almost completely every night and only gets a partial charge during the day. You can install a larger battery but it too does not get fully charged so your light's run time stays about the same.

A regular alkaline AAA battery has about 750 mAh capacity. It will provide a longer run time but since it's on all night long it will likely be dead by morning. I guess you may get one night's use out of a non-rechargeable battery.

If you want to do some work one hack that I've done is to replace the solar panel with a larger one. They can often be scavenged from another, larger solar powered device. I disconnect the wires to the small panel on your fixture and run wires to the new larger panel. I use larger/heavier gauge wire and make it long enough so I can mount the panel somewhere it gets good sun exposure. That way you can be free to locate your light wherever you want. You can put it in the shadows while it's solar panel is out in the clear to produce a full charge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: