10/2NM wiring confusion-Help?

Old 10-25-16, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
10/2NM wiring confusion-Help?

Located in middle TN. Rusty DIY'er who's goto electric friend is on vacation for a week & I'm second-guessing myself...

Need outdoor receptacles in front side of house to power holiday lights, blow up decorations, occasional power tools for DIY projects, stock tank de-icers, waterline heat tape in winter, etc. on one circuit.

Already in place is 10/2NM Romex in 3/4" pvc conduit buried 12". Main service to house is 225A. Have an exterior junction box (w/2 empty slots) for this job: 52' run from to location#1 (for 4x4 post for 4gang metal box w/bubble cover), then 92' run to location#2 (same box set-up), then 10' run to location#3 (same box set-up). Possible location #4 additional 20' away (if enough juice).
I have a single pull 30A breaker (not installed yet), a 20A GFCI double receptacle for first outlet install, then 20A double outlets for rest of run.
1. Is this configuration correct for distance and application?
2. If 10/2 wire is too beefy (I upgraded b/c of distance & am now second-guessing), should I put a single pull 20A breaker instead? (I don't want to fry anything)

Expertise and easy-to-understand advice to this novice is truly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-16, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Already in place is 10/2NM Romex in 3/4" pvc conduit buried 12"
Sorry, but you've already failed at this statement and need to start over - Romex is not allowed in wet/outdoor locations and buried in conduit counts as wet. Additionally, off the top of my head, conduit must be buried 18".

Old 10-25-16, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You also cannot use a breaker larger than 20A for general-purpose receptacles. If you need 30A or more in the area, you would need to run multiple circuits of no larger than 20A each; or install a subpanel with everything that entails.

For a total distance of about 150', it does make sense to use #10 wire on a 20A circuit to compensate for the voltage drop; however make sure it's the correct #10 cable or wire and it's buried correctly per the previous poster.