Switch controlled half hot outlet

Old 10-25-16, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switch controlled half hot outlet

Hello -
first time posting on this site so I hope I have this right .
In each room of my house there is a switch that controls an outlet as a half hot that do not work. The second room I am working on has 2 white, 2 black, and 2 red. the old outlet did not have a broken tab on the hot side so I broke it but it doesn't make the top outlet switch controlled. Currently the outlet has both reds going to the top, both blacks to the bottom, I can't think of any other reason why this might not be working. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-16, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Tell us about all the wires and connections at the switch. If possible also pull out both the receptacle and switch and post pictures of all the connections. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 10-25-16, 04:48 PM
Name:  IMG_3258.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  28.2 KBName:  IMG_3259.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  33.6 KBName:  IMG_3260.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  33.6 KB

Here are the pictures. The first one is of the switch, which had one red attached to the lower brass screw and one (tan?) colored wire stabbed in the back of the top. The switch box has the tan capped to black. The next two pics are of each side of the outlet showing how the white red and black are connected.

Old 10-25-16, 07:07 PM
Problem solved! The red wire continued on to another outlet in the room that did not have a tab broken, so I believe it was feeding power from the black back through the red to the switch controlled outlet. I disconnected the red wire from this outlet and everything now works as it should.

Old 10-25-16, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
One suggestion: I see wires inserted into the back of the receptacle. Back stabs are less reliable and can eventually fail to make adequate contact. You should instead use pigtails when you have two or more wires on a terminal. When you change to pigtails be sure you don't mix up which two wires were paired at a terminal.