Luxello LED House numbers

Old 10-26-16, 11:42 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Luxello LED House numbers

Hey everyone, my first post here! Looking for assistance on how to "plug" or give "power" to my new LED house numbers from surrounding.com.

The box says low voltage 6-16V AC or DC.

How do I connect these lights/wires to a power source. Sorry for my ignorance, I don't know the proper terminology.
What tools will I need?

I consider myself somewhat handy, so I hope this is truly an DIY project and I don't have to hire an electrician.

Here is the website, the uploader says the file is invalid so here is the address:

Luxello Modern Bronze House Numbers Illuminated : surrounding.com

I even took a picture of the number with 2 white wires coming out of it, but the photo will not upload. (jpg)

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Old 10-26-16, 01:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
You will need a transformer. The type used to power outdoor low voltage lighting will work, just make sure the voltages are compatible. It's odd that the illuminated numbers will work with both AC or DC but that probably means you don't have to worry about polarity when hooking them up but black or green is usually ground and white or red is positive.

Your photos must be a small size to upload. Photos taken with a smartphone are usually too large unless you reduce them to about 800 pixels on the long edge.

Old 10-26-16, 02:11 PM
D
Oh boy, how do I connect the white wires to this transformer??? I'll then need to drill though the brick and then attach all 3 numbers to this transformer? Does the transformer connect to a plug so that I can get power for a receptacle? Maybe tiles, drywall, shelves and IKEA are as far as my DIY can take me....

Old 10-26-16, 02:28 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You could also use a wall wart (ac adaptor), such as this one:

KTPS05-12006U-VI-P1 Volgen America/Kaga Electronics USA | Power Supplies - External/Internal (Off-Board) | DigiKey

That one plugs in to an outlet.

IIWM, I'd probably make a flat frame of some sort to mount the numbers to, and do the wiring inside the frame. Then you only have to make one hole to the inside to get power to the frame.

You could wire them up using low voltage wire similar to what is used for doorbells or thermostats.

Old 10-26-16, 02:40 PM
D
Thanks for that CarbideTipped. Stupid question of the year. Does a transformer plug into that? Yes, the 3 numbers will be screwed to a wooden plank and then drilled into the brick with a bigger hole for the wiring. I hope the pic that I uploaded loads

Attached Images  
Old 10-26-16, 04:59 PM
C
A transformer is one way to convert line voltage to the low voltage you need. It provides low voltage AC which is OK for your letters per the spec sheet. You can get transformers that plug in or ones that must be mounted to an electrical box to connect to line voltage.

The wall wart is a different way to convert line voltage to low voltage. Most wall warts (such as the one I linked to) provide low voltage DC, which is also OK for your letters.

You can use a transformer, or you can use a wall wart. You don't need both.

Old 10-26-16, 05:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
But... you will still have to get the wiring to your numbers somehow. If it's mounted on brick and your outlet is inside the house you'll have to drill through the brick. If your outlet is outside you'll have wires visibly running up the brick to your letters.

Old 10-27-16, 07:52 AM
D
Take a look at the picture, here's what I was thinking...
But how do I connect the two white wires from the LED numbers to the transformer?

Attached Images  
Old 10-27-16, 08:24 AM
C
Yes, your drawing is on the right path.

I suggest you buy a plug in transformer like this one:

Hammond Manufacturing - Transformers - BPD2E - class 2 energy limiting Transformer - Allied Electronics

It's 12 volts. Plug in doorbell transformers are more common but they are usually 16.5 volts which is above the rating for your letters.

You will also need enough low voltage cable to reach from your letters to the transformer. You can use cable like this:

Southwire (By-the-Foot) 20-2 Brown Twisted CU Bell Wire-56750099 - The Home Depot

You can buy it by the foot at the depot...

You will take one of the white wires from each letter and connect it to one of the wires in the cable by stripping the ends and using a wire nut. Strip off an inch or two of insulation, twist all the wires together, and then cut the twisted bundle short enough so all the bare wire will fit into the wire nut. Connect the other white wire from each letter to the other wire in the cable using another wire nut. It doesn't matter which white wire goes to which wire in the cable as long as one wire from each letter goes to one wire of the cable, and the other white wire from each letter goes to the other wire in the cable. So each wire nut will have 5 wires in it...one white from each letter and one of the cable wires.

Run the cable over to the receptacle and connect one wire from the cable to each screw on the transformer, stripping off enough insulation to make the connection. Plug the transformer in and it should work.

Old 10-27-16, 08:49 AM
D
This is bang on, thanks! Last question, is there a transformer with the plug, that can hold more than 2 Screw Terminals? Maybe a transformer with plug combo with a timer?

Old 10-27-16, 09:54 AM
C
Not sure what you mean about more than 2 screw terminals....

Here is a transformer/timer combination that would work in your application:

https://www.amazon.com/Paradise-GL33...s_5486450011_2

Old 10-27-16, 01:43 PM
D
Thanks CarbideTipped, I didn't read clearly and thought each white wire would have to connect to a different screw. Didn't read that that I can twist and use a wire nut to connect all 5 wires.

Would this basic transformer also work?

https://www.amazon.com/Leciel-Supppl.../dp/B01GXHFKGM

Old 10-27-16, 02:34 PM
C
Yes, that power supply would work fine.

Old 11-03-16, 04:09 PM
D
My home depot (canada) only has 18-2 brown wire. Is that acceptable? And man are those transformers heavy. Gotta create a small separate shelf for it hahah.

Old 11-03-16, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
That is fine. Almost any wiring can be used as it's low voltage.

Old 11-16-16, 10:31 AM
D
Ok. I've gotten everthing that I need. 18-2 wire and the transformer. I am still unsure as the led home numbers have one silver wire and the 18-2 have a black copper and a white copper wire within the grey casing. How do I connect?

Last edited by davidebarone; 11-16-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-16-16, 10:50 AM
D
Here is the photo of the wires

Attached Images  
Old 11-16-16, 11:23 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I am still unsure as the led home numbers have one silver wire and the 18-2 have a black copper and a white copper wire
I see two wires in your picture.

Name:  IMG_20161116_124752.jpg
Views: 8880
Size:  32.8 KB

Old 06-12-18, 08:04 PM
B
solution

luxello's web site i found some info on this. and they say its okay to use a standard door bell transformer Evan though its 12v AC and polarity don't matter im hooking up a photocell to the transformers input and the lights to the output today well see how that goes

Old 06-12-18, 08:10 PM
B
just hook up the wires to the transformers out put any way it don't matter just as long as you got the two wires from each light separated and not connected together . that wont harm the light but it wont light, if you did that . So its really fool proof just try you'll never know unless you try!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: