Patio cover wiring assistance

Old 10-27-16, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio cover wiring assistance

Hello. I just recently built a cover over my patio. The next stage of the project is wiring for recessed LED lighting on the underside of the patio cover and a LED flood lamp under the eaves to illuminate the back yard.

Currently there is a single pole switch controlling only the LED flood lamp. The flood lamp is still mounted in its original location. Which is now under the patio cover. I am wanting to remove the 1 gang box in house interior and install an old work 2 gang box to have separate switches for the recessed lighting and flood lamp. The wiring from these switches to the devices is what my question pertains to.

Can I install a weatherproof junction box where the flood lamp currently is, run new romex from switches to said junction box and then from there run romex through conduit until it reaches the patio cover rafters so that it is not exposed on the exterior of the house? I am not understanding if it is okay to use romex inside conduit for this short run(<6ft) or should all this wiring be done using THHN?

Thanks for any help. If I did not provide enough information please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-16, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I think you need to use THWN but let's see what the pros have to say.

Old 10-27-16, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I guess I should note that the only portion of the romex that would be exposed if it was not in conduit would be the run from the junction box to the the rafters. The underside of the rafters will be enclosed hence the recessed lighting.

Old 10-27-16, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Romex itself is not allowed outside. FWIW, just THHN is hard to find, most will be labeled THHN/THWN.

Old 10-27-16, 08:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
You could use UF-B (gray cable that looks like Romex but is rated for outdoor use), but it's a pain in the ... to strip and even harder to pull through conduit.

If you have conduit in place, I would definitely pull a black/white (and green if PVC conduit) THWN wire. Easy peasy!

Old 10-27-16, 08:57 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Oddly stores like Home Depot advertise their wire as THHN which you can't use but if you look at the printing on the wire they actually sell it is usually dual rated THHN/THWN so don't just ask actually look.

Old 10-27-16, 10:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Pretty soon there will only be one type of wire.... the outer jacket is the same thermoplastic/ nylon coating used over both types of wire.

Thermoplastic High Heat Resistant Nylon is the same outer covering used for THWN.

Old 10-31-16, 11:06 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
Pretty soon there will only be one type of wire.... the outer jacket is the same thermoplastic/ nylon coating used over both types of wire.
I hadn't heard that. Was there a news release somewhere that I may have missed?