Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Question about wiring up automotive 12v LED light bars for exterior lighting

Old 11-06-16, 05:41 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted some tips on hooking up this setup if you guys think its doable.

I've been wanting some exterior lighting for my office to light up the parking area right in front, but all the residential exterior light solutions seem very expensive and not very bright.

These automotive led light bars are cheap and bright, and I have these on a couple ATV's, but I don't know much about wiring them up to the 110v at home.

Here's what I'm working with. If there are better components please let me know, I've only purchased the light bars, nothing else yet.

Two of these LED light bars (10A, 120w each)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two of these light bar relays.
https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-MIC...wiring+harness

One of this power supply
https://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Switchi...verter+20a+12v

And a household plug cable to connect to power supply. I didn't see another 12v ac to dc power supply with higer voltage, and I believe I need extra tolerance and not max out two light bars on one power supply? If so I can just buy two power supplies and plug cables.

Do you think this setup will work? Or if there is a better way to do this please let me know what you think!

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-16, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't do it. The LED light bars sold online don't last, and are prone to leaking. Not to mention that none of this is listed, and by the time you spend cobbling this together you could buy something nicer. Are you looking for something to leave on for long periods of time, or for short periods?

Old 11-06-16, 08:19 PM
S
Thanks for your reply. I mainly want to be able to light up the parking lot from sunset (around 5pm) to 7-8pm when I leave every night.

They would be mounted under an overhang, so less likely to get soaked.

I was tempted to leave it running all night on a timer because of the low power drain of the LEDs but since it's cobbled together it's better to be able to keep an eye on it.

I was looking online at home depot's selection of outdoor flood lights and they are pretty expensive for the amount of lumens. For a comparable 6k lumens I'm looking at $600 for one light.

Old 11-06-16, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,041 Votes on 965 Posts
As Justin mentioned the 12v LED lighting is not long lasting. The key to LED lighting is that the LED's must remain cool. I've used many lights from the following company. Their prices are good and the quality of their fixtures is adequate for most users.

LED Canopy Lights | Affordable Canopy Lighting | e-conolight