Notching for 2-gang box between close studs

Old 11-15-16, 07:22 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Notching for 2-gang box between close studs

Hello. I have a door frame, 2x6 stud creating a 3.5" cavity between a second 2x6 stud. In between the 2 2x6 studs there is a 2x4 backer stud probably for another wall in the adjacent room. In the 3.5" cavity there is currently a 1-gang box with switch. I'd like to put in a 2 gang box. This would require notching one of the 2x6s about 1/4 inch. I know that I can do a double rocker. But I have a preference for the 2 gang as the ceiling fan will also have a light. I cannot move the stud as there is plumbing and a return vent on the other side of the 2x6 (non-door side). I don't think notching the 2x6 1/4 of an inch is a problem support-wise given that there are three studs within a 6"x6" space and the town home has typical attic trusses. Is there an issue with wedging electrical boxes so closely between two studs? Is a minimum clearance required for expansion, maybe an 1/8 inch? Thanks in advance?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-16, 07:42 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
No problem notching less than 1". Non-load bearing studs can be notched up to 40% of the dimension; load-bearing studs can be notched up to 25% of the dimension.

Old 11-15-16, 08:12 AM
G
Thanks for the info! I'm on the fence whether I should do it or not. I'll probably end up using the remote for the fan/light anyway.

Old 11-15-16, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
Make sure to account for the clearance of the trip plate on the door trim.

Old 11-15-16, 05:32 PM
You can notch the stud with no concern. The hard part is notching.
Studs are required to be 16" on center (24" for some 2 x 6 walls), even if there is plenty of other support nearby. You will find some studs that don't make sense, but the more the better and it's designed to hang 4' x 8' sheets of plywood or drywall.