Kenmore electric dryer

Old 04-23-01, 02:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

We have an older Kenmore electric dryer.
It recently stopped heating. The drum turns and the power connection appears in good order.
Before I start ripping this thing apart, I'd like some help.
Where are the fuses or heating elements located and how can I tell if these items are the problem?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-01, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A burned out heating element is a very common problem. I'd assume that this is the culprit.

First, shut off the circuit breaker. Then take the back off. You may be able to tell immediately if the element is broken. If not, take it off and test it with an ohmmeter.

Old 04-24-01, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
With the back off you will see a vertical duct toward the bottom which is sort of rectangular. It extends up to the back of the drum area. Protruding from the open bottom of this duct you will see two connections. With the power definitely off remove just one of the two wires and test for continuity. If it's shot you will see none. This is a very common type of failure with electric dryers, and this part is quite commonly available. You will probably get a better price from an appliance parts shop than from Sears. It is a Whirlpool part (FSP brand replacement parts is a Whirlpool subsidiary, and your Kenmore was definitely built by Whirlpool and re-badged.) I seem to recall this part ranges from $25 to $40. That dryer will last forever, I can tell you from experience, so it's worth it. I have one now, and will probably buy another one when the time comes. And replacing the heat element is really a piece of cake if you know where the fastener is (One screw removes that duct!). I seldom read the Appliance forum posts, so feel free to e-mail me for instructions or other questions.

Juice