Power cord into PVC conduit

Old 11-15-16, 05:50 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Power cord into PVC conduit

I'm installing roof heat cable (EasyHeat ADKS-1000) and need to run a new circuit for it. The heat cable only has a 6' power cord with a three-prong plug permanently attached to it. The manufacturer suggest installing an outlet within 6' of the cable and plugging it in. My original idea was to run a UF-B cable in PVC conduit up to just under the gutter and terminate with a weatherproof outlet box.

But now looking at it I'm thinking wouldn't it be safer to just cut off the plug and splice the cord wires and the UF wires inside a L box of sufficient volume using something like weatherproof wire nuts? The whole circuit will be on a GFCI breaker anyways and I have a box with a switch in the basement. But this way no open outlet during potentially inclement weather conditions.

So two questions.

1. Am I missing some glaring NEC violations here? The power cord does not look particularly heavy duty but it's UL listed and intended for outdoor use.

2. If it's all kosher with the code, what's the best way to enter the PVC conduit at the cord side? Female PVC adapter with smth like twin screw NM clamp connector and cover with silicon?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-16, 05:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A code violation because you would not be connecting as intended by the manufacturer. Use an in-use cover and plug it in.

Old 11-15-16, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
Cutting off the cord end would be a violation as it is not designed to be hard wired. They do make roof deicing cables that are designed to be hard wired. They even provide a weatherproof connector for the deicing cable.

Install your cable and run the UF with the receptacle for the deicing cable to be plugged in. Install an in-use cover as required by code and it will keep the receptacle/plug high and dry.

Old 11-15-16, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
If the receptacle is mounted face down the in use cover would not be needed. The rain will not go up.