Old 04-23-01, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
I have one electrical outlet in my basement and want to add
3 more. How can this be properly wired?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-01, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are adding on to the same existing circuit as the current 1 outlet is then just run a black/white/bare cable from this outlet to the first addon outlet then from that outlet to the next addon outlet and so on.

at each outlet including the existing one...

connect black to black and a short black wire going to the brass color screw of plug.

connect white to white and short white going to the silver color screw of plug.

bares together and grounded to box and grounding screw of plug.

This is assuming that the existing plug is in not switched and is in an always on state.

Consideration must be given to the purpose of the addon on plugs and what is already on the existing circuit as to rather adding on to the existing circuit is all that you need or creating a new circuit/new breaker to the panel.

My explanation was for adding onto the existing circuit.

Old 04-23-01, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The connections are only a very small part of the puzzle.

There are safety considerations for securing and protecting the cable, how to protect the wires as they enter the box, how much wire must be left in the box, etc. You must also choose the correct size wire, the correct size wire nuts, the correct size boxes, the correct size wire staples, etc.

I suggest you get a book on home wiring at your local library or Home Depot. This will not only give you complete instructions (adding outlets is the most common DIY electrical project), but will give you great pictures, safety tips, and code requirements.

Outlets in unfinished basements must be GFCI protected. You should also do a bit of investigation to make sure you're not going to overload the circuit.