Temporary electric service question

Old 11-16-16, 03:23 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temporary electric service question

when you get temp construction power at your house site does the power company give you some kind of panel with it aside from the meter?

Old 11-16-16, 03:52 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Temp Power

Not here, but we are near the other coast.

You should contact your local power company for specific requirements and questions. There should be a hand-out available from them for guidance. Or an on-line instruction page,

Old 11-16-16, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
The power company usually just gives you the meter. You are required to supply all the other equipment and meter pan AND have it inspected before they will connect to it.

Old 11-17-16, 07:36 AM
S
in Florida.... if you want to bury conduit to the house will they ok your ditch and pipe
all the way to the permanent home of the service panel on the first floor frame?
they want the meter outside no? can that get attached to the frame of the house before the sheathing and siding?? so one inspection does it until the final inspection of the panel..?

Old 11-17-16, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
The design guide will answer many of your questions.

Why would you want to mount the socket before the sheathing is installed?

Look at something like the MM18 from Arlington to mount the socket after the sheathing is up.

Old 11-17-16, 10:16 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Standard operating procedure I've seen is that you can rent/borrow the temporary service from your electrical contractor. It's included in the overall bid price for the new construction.

If you're not going with an all-in electrical contractor, you'll need to provide everything yourself with the exception of the meter itself. In my area the power company also gives you the meter socket, but you have to pick it up from one of the local electrical supply houses.

Old 11-18-16, 03:00 PM
S
i am talking about DIY here. while we are at it....My other house has the service wires coming down the utility pole in conduit from the transformer.. into the ground for 10 ft and then up into a 5 ft pedestal with meter.It looks nice to have the short meter pedestal aways from the house.If you wanted that kind of set up would you have to have the conduit for the in ground portion,10 ft?or would they supply that?
The ditch would have to be there I know.
also they use 1 awg alum from the pole... can you go out of the meter with 2 awg alum if its only 100 ft?

Old 11-18-16, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
You would have to see if they would even do that. They will supply power to a lateral (underground service) but I'm not sure about the pedestal part. If they did allow a pedestal like that....between it and your house would be your installation job. They may charge from their transformer to the pedestal.

Old 11-18-16, 03:28 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
The reason we're pushing back is that service entrances are rarely DIY projects, and in many areas of the country are not allowed to be DIY. You also may need access to resources that are difficult for a homeowner to get to like a power company engineer.

All of those questions in your most recent post are up to your local power company distribution service design standards. They should publish a design manual of some sort that will detail different service options, which parts are whose responsibility and what materials are acceptable.

In my area it is the homeowner/contractor responsibility to set the meter and panel on the pedestal and provide a conduit that will reach from the meter base to 24" below grade. The design manual specifies how the pedestal is to built (4x6 PT posts, stainless fasteners, 3/4 plywood, or concrete & steel, etc) and anchored to a footing including specs like clearance from grade and other objects. The power company does all of the underground work including providing wire at a flat service installation rate + $7 per linear foot. There is no homeowner or contractor option.

The wire sizing ahead of the meter is entirely up to the power company. The wiring sizing downstream of the meter depends on the service size, calculated load and distance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: