Old 11-19-16, 03:51 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How would you run this circuit?

Name:  Electrical SA.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  21.7 KB

I would like to ... interconnect two smoke alarms .... put a light in a stairwell controlled by three way switchs.

I have a 14/2 wire that was used for a heater during construction and is available. It runs from panel to where I want my first smoke alarm in the basement.

I can go to what would be the first switch in the basement at base of stairs, the switch above at top of stairs is in the same wall as the basement switch, just 8 feet above more or less. All areas to light and smoke alarm are accessible .. no drywall to worry about right now ..

I am just uncertain as to the best way to run this circuit, while ensuring that the smoke alarms are interconnected ...

Thanks in advance ..
Here is a pic .. not to scale Location Wisconsin

Last edited by Mizzfixit2; 11-19-16 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Mention location
Old 11-19-16, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The only thing you have to do with the smoke alarms is tie them together with 14-3. You can use the existing 14-2 for power. Accessing the two locations, I would have no idea, as only you can see a possible routing.

As for your lighting, here's how to do it, but, again, routing the wires, only you can figure wall cavities, etc.

Name:  three way switch.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  5.4 KB

Old 11-19-16, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Here's your pic back.... not marked to scale.

Name:  Electrical SA.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 11-19-16, 04:06 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
All we know about your location is nonUS.
In my area all smoke detecters need to be on there own circuit.
Want more details you really need to be asking your local building dept.

Old 11-19-16, 09:06 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for help .. I did mention I was in Wisconsin. The smoke alarms need to be interconnected but not necessarily an independent circuit. I am told it is better this way .. if ever a problem on the circuit your light would alert you to it .. makes sense I guess.

I can't go straight through the floor to the smoke alarm above, I will have to take the same route the wires go from bottom switch to top switch location. So from the first alarm I run a 14/2 to my first switch then carry on to next switch (14/3)and light as posted in diagram ......... then ....from first smoke alarm I need to run 14/3 independently up the same route to the second alarm. Because I was using the same route for switches, light, detector .. I wasn't sure if I could tie them all together somehow.

Also, Not far from the first detector location there is a coiled wire and it runs to 3 receptacles and an outside light, an outside GFCI too I believe ..... could I connect into the first detector with that run? Do you foresee a problem with that. I may not but was wondering if I could.

Anyhow ... thanks again ..

Old 11-20-16, 06:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The other cable could be added if the smoke alarm box has space for additional cables and the load on the circuit.

If there is already a circuit feeding other smoke alarms you need to tie into to them. You should not have two circuits for the smokes.

Old 11-20-16, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
In a residential application..... the hard wired smoke detectors DO NOT go on their own circuit. They connect to an existing convenience circuit. In commercial applications they are on their own circuit.

You should definitely use only one circuit for the smoke detectors.

I realize you can run wiring straight as shown. I was showing you what you needed for wiring to keep the wiring down at each box and give you the required neutral at your switch boxes.

Old 11-20-16, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Some areas like Delaware require a dedicated circuit for smoke alarms. Check your local building officials.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: