Dead receptacle after powerwashing

Old 11-28-16, 09:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dead receptacle after powerwashing

have the same problem. was powerwashing back deck when the outlets blew. It had outdoor weather cover but they are 20 years old so water must have gotten in. all outlets in garage blew but lights on top are ok.

checked breaker inside the main box and it was not tripped. everything else on that breaker works.

the outlet was NOT a cfgi which puzzles me. reset those in the bathroom and still no power.

so where do i go from here?

Separated from... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ceptacles.html

Last edited by PJmax; 11-28-16 at 09:40 AM. Reason: new thread
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-16, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You could have a tripped GFI receptacle that you haven't found yet or due to the heavy power requirement of the electric power washer a connection burned open.

Do you know what circuit the receptacle is on ?
You'd need to check receptacles in the same area for a connection to the outside receptacle.

If you haven't checked the receptacle it should be visibly inspected for damage and damaged wiring.

Old 11-28-16, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
You might check the garage or basement for another GFI.

Old 11-28-16, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
GFCI could be anywhere inside or outside or behind something that hasn't been moved in years. If you can't find a GFCI open the receptacle and test with a multimeter (a non contact tester won't work). Test black to white and black to ground.

If test shows no voltage the problem could be at a working or non working receptacle that is supplying the problem receptacle. You will need to check all receptacles, switches, and lights on the breaker. Redo any wire nuts, move any back stabs to the screws, and test all wires under screws are tight. Start with receptacles closest to the problem receptacle though the problem could be anywhere.

Old 11-29-16, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AFter being in the house 20 years I found an outlet in the garage behind a heavy object that had a gfci outlet with a rest button.

reset it and now thw 3 outlets in garage work again but the outlet outside on the deck where it originally blew is dead. i used a speery tester to test both plugs.

i'll shut the power off and check all wiring and put a new gfci outlet with a new weather proof cover and seeif that works.

thanks.

Old 11-29-16, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Buried GFCI keep electricians employed. I lost a bedroom and hall When doing some remodel, Drove me nuts until I found out the bathroom near that room was GFCI and was tripped.