Want to replace 2 light switches with just one

Old 11-30-16, 02:58 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to replace 2 light switches with just one

I have 2 light switches that control all of our basement lights. Some of the lights are connected to one breaker and the rest of the basement lights are connected to another breaker. I want to install just one switch to turn on all of the basement lights at the same time.

Currently, the 2 light switches are about 1/2 way down the basement stairs. I want to put just one light switch at the top of the stairs to control all of the basement lights.

What I was thinking of doing was to remove the switches that are 1/2 way down the stairs, add another section of wire long enough to connect to the switch up to the top of the stairs and then connect the 3 white wires together, the 3 black wires together and the 3 ground wires together each with their own wing nut and then put a cover on the box and connect the switch to the long piece of wire at the top of the stairs?

Will the fact that some of the lights are controlled by one circuit breaker and the rest of the lights are controlled by another circuit breaker make this impossible or cause any problems with the new circuit?

Old 11-30-16, 04:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Using regular SPST light switches they must all be on the same breaker. You'd need to use use a DPDT switch to control two circuits. I'm not recommending that. I'd disconnect the power from one group and instead power it from the other group. In other words same breaker for all lights.

SPST= Single Pole Single Throw

DPDT= Doubel Pole Double Throw

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: