conduit exterior to 100 amp panel

Old 12-10-16, 05:23 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
conduit exterior to 100 amp panel

Small dilemma. Need to run additional romex from sub-panel in finished garage, approx 6' to crawl opening. Will be external conduit. Plan is to hack a hole in drywall near bottom edge of panel, use the knockout hole in panel and secure it. Dilemma, is finding the correct AC rate small junction point, into the panel. I want the finished conduit pipe to lay close to the drywall. With that said, to the center of the knockout of panel, to the drywall surface is only approx 2.5". I've seen the grey boxes with the two 1 1/4" entry holes, and it has as screw on face plate, but nothing seems to be the correct orientation. So before I go fabricating, does anyone know if there is something specifically manufactured, for what I am trying to accomplish. Been to lowes and menards. Any ideas? Would have been easy to use sch 40 white pvc piping and connections would have been simple, but an inspector later on down the road would have dinged me on this. ugh....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-16, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Dilemma, is finding the correct AC rate small junction point, into the panel.
I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

If you want to use PVC, why don't you use electrical PVC? It comes in Sch 40 and Sch 80. It is just as easy to work with or easier then plumbing PVC because it is the proper material and fittings to use with electrical installations. You can't just start fabricating things up in electricial. Almost all materials used in electrical needs to be listed and identified for the purpose it is being used for. That is why the inspector dinged you on using plumbing PVC.

Old 12-10-16, 05:45 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Not sure I follow your question but have you considered an offset nipple?

Name:  18952.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  4.3 KB

Is your box flush with the Sheetrock?

Old 12-10-16, 05:46 AM
D
To drop down out of the subpanel, then angle out of the drywall is only 2.5". In order to keep my conduit pipe close to the wall, I am having a difficult time finding the proper connectors, to keep it close to the wall. I did not find 90 degree elbows for the grey piping, as I could for the white piping. Not sure how better I can explain this

Old 12-10-16, 05:50 AM
D
If the grey conduit has the same 90 degree elbows available, as sch 40 white pipe, then I'm good, and was just blind when trying to put this together in menards. I only was gradual 90 degree bend connector, which is useless, coming out of the panel

Old 12-10-16, 06:00 AM
D
The sub is mounted in a 2x4 framed wall. I want possible future wiring in this conduit. Not just running 1 12/2 wire. Will be using at least 1 1/4" conduit.

Old 12-10-16, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
You couldn't find a tight 90 because you need to be able to pull wire through it which is why it doesn't exist. You could never be able to pull wire through a plumbing 90.

Using an offset nipple like Ray suggested is a good option. They come in many sizes up to 2" at the home store.

Another option would bend your own offset with PVC conduit (or steel) just remember that the bend can't be too tight.

Third option would be to mount a deep box to the bottom of the panel and have it stick past the drywall. Then come out of the bottom of the box to run your conduit.

The fourth option would be to fish the cables, or flex conduit, out of the panel and poke out of the wall into the back of a surface mounted box. Then, run your conduit anyplace you want.

Let me know if you want options 5-10.

Old 12-10-16, 06:12 AM
D
Tolyn, you are following me. I'll look at the offset nipple idea. Like best your 3rd options. With that, I could, if it were available I could have an access plate on the outside of that box which I could pull the wire to that point, then easily fish up into the panel. I'll come up with something. Thx to all

Old 12-10-16, 06:29 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
if it were available I could have an access plate on the outside of that box which I could pull the wire to that point
Access doors from the plumbing department are very good for this. Look good and no improvising. Just put one below the box.

Name:  p_SCP_163_11.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  19.0 KB

Old 12-10-16, 06:43 AM
D
Will most likely get the grey plastic box and have it sticking outta wall, then cut a hole in bottom to receive conduit. Cut a hole in top and plumb to bottom of panel. About all I can imagine. Thx

Old 12-10-16, 06:46 AM
D
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-2-Ty...t-Body/3127635
This would have been my more perfect solution, with minor modification. Just can't find correct orientation of box.

(mod remove if not allowed)