Kitchen wiring

Old 12-14-16, 07:12 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen wiring

Ok so i bought this house a year ago and i am slowly remodeling. There is a light/fan at the left of the kitchen, a light over the sink, and a light in the middle of the kitchen. Theres a hole in the ceiling where that last light in the middle of the kitchen, where a lot of the wiring meets.

Investigating this and finding where most of the wires in the hole go I have wired the kitchen lights as shown. Using a multi meter to check continuity.

The fan switch wire is white at the switch but black at the hole. Assuming the other wire goes to the fan/light. There is a black wire coming out of the hole in the picture that is powered and I used that for power. I don't know where the black wires at the out let next to the switch on the right side of the kitchen go.

Orange means these wires are connected. Red wires showed continuity between the two outlets across from each other. Note that the outlets and lights in the kitchen are turned on and off with two different fuses at the fuse box.

Right now using my multimeter I am getting at the outlet at the bottom of the kitchen between black and white 120V, black and red 240V, between black at the outlet and white at the switch next to it 240V, between the whites 120V.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/a...20wiring_1.png

Name:  snapshot2.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  16.0 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 12-14-16 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Add diagram.
Old 12-14-16, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Am I missing your question?

Old 12-14-16, 07:47 PM
B
I guess I'm wondering if the wiring is correct and if I should be getting 240v when i check voltage between the wires I stated.

If everything is correct, the red wire goes on the bottom brass screw, black above that, white across from black right?

Old 12-14-16, 07:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
at the outlet at the bottom of the kitchen between black and white 120V, black and red 240V, between black at the outlet
Sounds like a multi wire circuit.
  • Is the breaker a 2 pole breaker or is it two single pole handle tied breakers or two single pole breakers? If it is on two single pole breakers not handle tied it is wrong.
  • Is the tab on the brass side of the receptacle removed?
between black at the outlet and white at the switch next to it 240V, between the whites 120V
Whites on a switch are usually indicative of a switch loop. There are usually no neutrals in a single gang switch box asnd often not in a 2-gang switch box. (The whites should have been recolored black or any color but green or gray to indicate they are hots not neutrals.)
Theres a hole in the ceiling where that last light in the middle of the kitchen, where a lot of the wiring meets.
If you mean connections not in a junction box that is wrong.

Old 12-14-16, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Everything you list sounds correct. You have a multi-wire circuit. Two hots sharing one neutral. This is commonly done but care should be taken when working on these circuits. Current code requires that multi-wire circuits have a common disconnect. This is also required where a multi-wire circuit connects to a device on the same yoke.

Your switch is wired with a switch loop.

Old 12-14-16, 09:33 PM
B
The outlets in the kitchen are on one circuit or connected to one fuse in the fuse box. Single switch/handle fuse not a double. Lights in kitchen are on another single switch fuse. Wasn't sure if using the white/neutral, from the outlet on one circuit, for the lights on another circuit is ok.

No junction box at the missing light hole. Just wire nuts holding things together.

the brass on the outlet side between red and black is broken/missing.

3 wire cable from switch to hole in ceiling - black, white, and ground. White at bottom of switch to black hot at hole in ceiling (origin unknown), black at top of switch to nothing at hole for future light.

If the wiring is ok, I did want to add a couple pendant lights on the left side of the kitchen. How would I wire these in on another switch separate from the fan switch? Or even connected to the fan switch if thats easier?

Old 12-14-16, 10:07 PM
one fuse in the fuse box. Single switch/handle fuse not a double.
Fuses don't have handles. Sounds like you have a breaker box. Sometimes a two pole breaker looks like a single handle. How many wires on the breaker?
No junction box at the missing light hole.
I junction box must be installed. The junction box must remain accessible.
3 wire cable from switch to hole in ceiling - black, white, and ground.
That's a 2-conductor cable.
White at bottom of switch to black hot at hole in ceiling (origin unknown), black at top of switch to nothing at hole for future light
That is a switch loop. Note top and bottom is meaningless when referring to switches.
I did want to add a couple pendant lights on the left side of the kitchen. How would I wire these in on another switch separate from the fan switch?
You will need to run a power source to the switch box and then one power to the first light from your switch and from the first light to the second light.

Name:  G.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  22.0 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 12-14-16 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-15-16, 06:56 AM
B
Sorry maybe I misunderstood what a junction box is supposed to be. There is a box at the hole in the ceiling (black plastic) and the cables from the 3 switches and outlet at the bottom of the kitchen are routed through it.

single wire at both breakers. Wire from breaker for kitchen outlets is red. Black for the lights.

flipping off the breaker for the outlets with the red wire cuts power to the red wire at the outlet at the bottom of the kitchen and outlet at the top of the kitchen, but there is still power at the black wire at the outlet at the bottom of the kitchen. Connecting red and black is now 120v, red and white is 0V. white and black still 120v.

flipping the breaker below that breaker turns off power to the black wire at that outlet, and the outlet to the left and the two outlets in the dining room (left side of kitchen).

Heres a more detailed map of my kitchen. I pulled out the outlet near the switch at the top and found the 2 or 3 red wires that were twisted there showed continuity to the red at the outlet at the bottom of the kitchen.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/a...wiring%202.png

Last edited by borjawil; 12-15-16 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-15-16, 09:51 AM
How would I wire these in on another switch separate from the fan switch?
You probably can't tap off of the fan switch. I'm assuming the fan switch only has two wires, white and black. The white isn't neutral so that won't work.

The fan switch wire is white at the switch but black at the hole.
The black at the hole should be your constant hot wire bundle. There should also be a bundle of neutral wires in the ceiling box.
You can tap off those wires with new cable.
The new cable can run over to the pendants and down to a new switch, or down to new switch and up to pendants.

As mentioned you have a MWBC, even if the handles aren't tied. Be sure to turn off both breakers while working.

Old 12-15-16, 10:45 AM
I suggest you buy and read cover to cover Wiring Simplified. You can find it at Amazon or some bookstores or some libraries. Examples:

Paperback https://www.amazon.com/Wiring-Simpli...ing+simplified

E-book https://www.amazon.com/Wiring-Simpli...ing+simplified

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: