Dishwasher Wiring

Old 12-15-16, 10:26 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher Wiring

So couple of weeks ago our 2 year old dishwasher decided to have the same issue it did just a couple of months prior to it getting fixed. Yep, looks like this is the second time in a year the same problem has risen. But that's not the concern, we acquired a used dishwasher and decided to set it up in our basement as a backup one until ours gets fixed (again) and maybe use it as an extra one. I got a 14 gauge husky cord made for power tools and hooked it up (9 foot cord). While running a couple of cleaning cycles I periodically checked the cord for heat, and while it wasn't alarmingly warm, it was a slight bit warm where it plugs in and so was the cord (just a little warm). Out of concern I immediately advanced the timer to drain and ran a couple of quick rinse cycles and shut off the unit. Now, I am aware that the code states it to be 3-4 feet for a dishwasher but while I did cut the cord down to 4 feet it no longer reaches the outlet. The dishwasher pulls 9.0 amps. Is it normal for the cord to be a little warm? Should I maybe cut a new cord down to 6 feet instead? And I've seen air conditioner extension cords, would those be appropriate to use?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-16, 11:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,189 Votes on 1,100 Posts
In my opinion you would be better off using a longer cord than a shorter cord plus an extension cord. Otherwise you would need to have the receptacle relocated next to the washer.

#14 wiring may get a little warm but 9A is not at the 80% limit of that size wiring. If the plug seems to get uncomfortably warm then it may be time to change the receptacle.
Use a spec grade device for a better connection.

Old 12-16-16, 08:37 AM
Here's a link to a type of cord I use for dishwashers:

HDX 6 ft. 16/3 SPT-3 Appliance Cord - Gray-HD#588-547 - The Home Depot

It's only 16/3, but that's pretty much standard.

Old 12-16-16, 11:23 AM
P
Received 112 Votes on 88 Posts
Personally I would use the 12/3 heavy duty air conditioner/appliance extension cord.

Old 12-17-16, 10:36 AM
D
Thanks for the quick responses, I think I'll get the 9 foot cord and update you guys after a full normal cycle on temperatures.

Old 12-23-16, 04:23 PM
D
Ran multiple cycles on the unit, the cord did not get warm at all and remained cool. I think previously I was touching the tub which is hot and then feeling the cord right after giving a false indication. Thanks for the all the help!