Need some help installing a timer. Thank you.

Old 12-19-16, 07:03 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some help installing a timer. Thank you.

Good morning DIY. So, I am usually handy, but ran into a little dilemma this am. I am looking to install a digital timer where there is a SINGLE pole switch. I opened the box, and the switch presented as following.
1 wire going to a screw.
another wire(appears to be opened in the middle and wrapped around another screw.
I am at a lost since my digital timer has 5 wires,
green
white
blue
black
red.

EDIT: When I touch the single wired screw with my tester, there is no electricity going to it.

Any advice and or input would be appreciated. Thanks!Name:  1 screw.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  20.8 KBName:  wrapped.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  22.3 KBName:  5 Wires.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 12-19-16, 07:43 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Assuming this is not a 3-way switch and there is a group of white wires connected only to each other see below. If not yes to both statements stop and post back.

another wire(appears to be opened in the middle and wrapped around another screw
That would be the power in. It should be cut where stripped in the middle. Strip about " of insulation off the two cut wires and connect them with a wire nut to the black wire on the dimmer.

Connect the single wire on the old switch to the red of the dimmer.

In the back of the box there should be a group of white wires connected to each other. Connect the white of the dimmer to that group.

Cap off the blue wire with a wire nut.

Connect the green ground wire to the other grounds in the box if any. If the box is metal all grounds should be connected via a pigtail to the box.

Old 12-19-16, 08:31 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My bad, yes, it is not a 3 way. Attempting operation now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: