Wink Relay installation - help needed

Old 12-20-16, 08:50 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink Relay installation - help needed

I would like to install a Wink Relay (home automation control center and switch). The diagrams that were provided with the product are attached. The first shows what the wiring at the gang box should look like (before), Name:  Wink Relay before diagram.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  14.6 KBand the second shows how to connect to the Wink Relay product (after)Name:  Wink Relay after diagram.jpg
Views: 2050
Size:  16.1 KB

As you can see, the documentation provided (before) shows that there should be 2 black wires going into the first switch, one into the second switch, and a wire connecting the first switch to the second.

However my gang box is wired differently. (pic attached). Name:  My gang box wiring.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  31.9 KB I have 2 black wires going into each switch and there is no connection between the first switch and the second. (Note: I had started connecting the white wires to the Wink Relay, which is what you see happening there.)

The after pics show that there should be three black wires from inside the wall connected to the product - and the fourth one (that had connected the two switches together) to be discarded. However in my case, I have 4 black wires going into the wall.

Any thoughts as to what I should be doing?

I think that my wiring is on two different circuits. Should I determine which wires are live and which are load - and then tie off one load wire and connect 2 live and one load to the Wink Relay? Or should I tie off one live and connect 1 live and 2 load to the Wink Relay? Or something completely different?

Thanks!

Old 12-20-16, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Do you just want the wink to control the left switch ?
That shouldn't be a problem as it looks like you have a two wire cable in and a two wire cable out.

You may need a voltmeter or voltage tester to check for hot.

Pretty hard to see the wiring in the box......
Name:  My gang box wiring.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  36.6 KB

Old 12-20-16, 10:19 AM
A
The Wink Relay product has a touch screen and two switches. i would like the product to control both switches, just as I do now.

Trying to send the pic as an attachment, rather than embedded - hopefully this works.

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-16, 10:29 AM
A
If its still hard to see, its basically like the wiring for the single switch in the Wink Relay before pic - but its for 2 switches in the same gang box.

Old 12-20-16, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
If there are two circuits there then there should be two breakers controlling the power.
Have you checked that ?

What I need is a closeup picture of just the box and wiring. As close as you can get.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: