Replacement batteries for emergency lighting in store

Old 12-21-16, 03:40 AM
A
Received 104 Votes on 86 Posts
Replacement batteries for emergency lighting in store

My friend has a store. In the store is an emergency light mounted on the wall. It contains 2 batteries (please see photo) which seem to be wired in series. They are 6 volt 10aH each.

We need to get replacement batteries as these are no longer holding a charge.

Our question is so far we can only find 6 volt 4.5aH batteries that will fit the unit compartment. Using two 6 volt in series I would assume come to a total of 12 volts. But how is the aHr measured? If we use only the 4.5aH will they work but only the lights will last less time on battery power maybe?

We did find this one here but it says AGM. Would this be the proper one?

Thank you for your guidance.

Name:  20161007_124958.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  40.7 KB

Old 12-21-16, 04:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
You should be able to find a battery of similar capacity and size so there is no need to go with something having almost half the capacity. AGM would be OK.

Old 12-21-16, 05:23 AM
Received 154 Votes on 140 Posts
That AGM should be fine,it is a direct replacement.

Old 12-21-16, 05:31 AM
A
Sorry, I was a bit confusing in what I typed and what I meant to say.

Our question is so far we can only find 6 volt 4.5aH batteries that will fit the unit compartment. Using two 6 volt in series I would assume come to a total of 12 volts. But how is the aHr measured? If we use only the 4.5aH will they work but only the lights will last less time on battery power maybe?
"we can only find" should be "we have". He bought two of these batteries in an auction and we would like to know if these two batteries will work but just may not last as long as the 10aH batteries. Or do we need to buy the direct replacement of the present one which is the one I provided the link for.

Sorry, was still asleep and before my coffee on the first post.

Old 12-21-16, 07:53 AM
C
Received 20 Votes on 17 Posts
If your batteries are lead acid type they should work, but with lower run time as you say. It's possible their life will be shortened because the internal circuitry may charge them at a higher rate than would be normal for a lower capacity battery. But generally the charging circuit in those types of lights charges at a slow rate anyway so you may be ok. Always best to replace with identical battery when possible.

Old 12-22-16, 03:34 AM
A
Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated along with the education.

We decided we will just go ahead and buy the proper batteries. For the price of them it is the best thing to do.

But again thank you.

Have a good holiday

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: