Is there code mention of outlets in closets?

Old 12-22-16, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is there code mention of outlets in closets?

I don't think I've ever seen a walk in type closet of any size with an outlet. Are they really that cheap in spec/tract houses that another $3-4 will break them? Maybe just in custom homes?

I mean, I had one at my house in VA in a small coat closet, but that's because all the pre-wiring for an alarm system terminated there. I used it to keep a dust buster charged.

Old 12-22-16, 05:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
There is not code requirement for receptacles in closets, but I agree with you that a walk in closet should have at least one for dust busters, and other periphery you want to hide from view.

Old 12-22-16, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 743 Votes on 684 Posts
I put outlets in my closets when I built my house and there was no issue with code. If I recall the only electrical code issue was that the light fixtures could not be incandescent if they were within a certain distance of the walls. I think a fire prevention issue to prevent someone from piling clothes up until they touched a hot light fixture.

Old 12-22-16, 07:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
No one is going to install another receptacle for only $3 or 4 dollars. Some also have enough trouble placing receptacles with an eye for furniture placement, let alone think about closets.

Old 12-22-16, 08:46 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
They are not required by code, but not also not prohibited, so it's up to the builder / homeowner. Standard bid rate for a receptacle in new construction is about $50-60 each.

Old 12-22-16, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I originally just meant $3-4 for materials. I know having an outlet or switch added to existing plans can cost quite a bit, but do they really charge that much for just the basic stuff on the plan? That would mean the tiny bedroom I'm sitting in now would have cost $200-240 for just the outlets. For a job that would prob take an experienced person an hour or so.

Jeez, no wonder my VA neighbor drove new trucks every 2 years.

Old 12-22-16, 01:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
I've painted 1000's of new houses over the years ranging from cheap tract homes to mansions. The only walk in closets I recall seeing receptacles in [unless wired for a specific device] is the large walk in closets that were bigger than most of the bed rms I've had over the years.

Old 12-22-16, 01:17 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Most bids are constructed to be "code minimum" (which is actually quite robust) based on the square footage of the house plus a per-unit price for additional custom lighting and receptacles beyond code. It's an estimated cost which figures in a lot of stuff. Any given receptacle is unlikely to cost $50, but when you add up all the cost associated with customizations to the plan (including additional plan review, permit and inspection fees) and divide out by number of devices, it's a decent guess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: