Dimmer switches and lack of room

Old 12-28-16, 07:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dimmer switches and lack of room

Hi Everyone...

So, I'm not a professional electrician, but with a lot of practice and reading I've been doing my own electrical work for around 15 years now, and I consider myself to be a fairly experienced DIYer. I'm comfortable with the basics...replacing switches/outlets, installing lights, even some more advanced things like installing a new box and running Romex cable / branching off of an existing outlet. I'm an IT guy by trade so, I have a high comfort level with electronics and gadgets in general.

That being said, I feel like dimmer switches are my mortal enemy. How concerned do I need to be that when I'm putting these back in the wall, no matter how hard I try to do tidy job, I always feel like I'm having to "cram" it all in there? Yes, I fold the wires...I'm pretty anal retentive and I like things to be clean and neat regardless. But whenever I install a dimmer, I feel like things look like a mess in there. And then I read all of this stuff online about "cramming too much in a box could cause problems / start an electrical fire" etc. etc., but maybe my definition of "too much" and others' definition of "too much" are two different things anyway.

I'm in the process installing a bunch of Leviton "smart" switches in my house. I just finished replacing a 4-gang box's worth of switches. Two of them are regular switches, and the other two are dimmers. I feel like I had a hell of a time getting all the wires back in there, and while I'm confident my connections are good, I'm not confident things aren't "stuffed" in there. It was a real pain, since dimmers don't have screw terminals (why, I don't know...I hate this about them), and since these are "smart switches" which also require a neutral connection, each dimmer meant 4 or 5 wire nuts to cram back in there (one of them was a 3-way switch so...5 wirenuts just for this one switch!!!).

Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid...I don't feel like this is an issue of "that's why a professional should do this" because it's not like a professional wouldn't have as much crap to cram into this stupid box.

Thoughts/tips/suggestions? If my connections are good and everything is wired correctly, do I just need to put it out of my mind and accept the fact that dimmers = more crowding in the box, and it doesn't need to look "pretty" to function correctly?

Old 12-28-16, 09:32 AM
Stuffing a box isn't easy, but a 4-gang should make it a little easier.
You should have room for 2 dimmers and 2 switch wiring.

With your experience you should be able to disconnect everything and re-stuff the box.

I start with grounds (crimp instead of wire nut), then neutrals, and hot wires last, stuffing them also and leaving the pigtails out and pre-bent if needed.

Try to keep any large wire nut connections behind the regular switches. The neutrals can be bundled in groups with a jumper if that helps.

Old 12-28-16, 04:44 PM
M
I gave it another shot and I think I'm a bit more comfortable with how things are looking now. Still a lot in there but what can you do. Hopefully it's all safe.

Normally yes, I'd agree that in a 4-gang box there'd be plenty of free space...but, with these Leviton Vizia smart-switches, even the non-dimmer ones take up pretty much the same amount of real estate, sans the wire nuts (the standard non-dimmer ones are screw-terminal). They take up a lot more space than a traditional switch.

I still think it's monumentally stupid that these manufacturers continue to make dimmer switches without screw-terminals. I'd imagine there must be a reason for this, but regardless it'd sure make life easier not having to deal with packing all that extra wire and nuts into the box when installing these..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: