How does one show three switches on a floor plan?

Old 12-31-16, 06:51 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How does one show three switches on a floor plan?

I need to show a lighting diagram on a floor plan, but I'm not sure how. I want to show three switches to a light source and am not sure if they should all be designated as 4-way switches and I'm not sure how to show the arched lines between the switches and light sources. I thought 3-way and 4-way switches designated the type of switch. When there are three switches to a light source, isn't only one of the switches (the middle one) actually a 4-way switch and the other two, 3-way switches? Why would you show all three switches as 4-way? If I went to the building store to pick up switches for a three switch system, would I get three 4-way switches or two 3-way switches and one 4-way switch? Say I have a bedroom loft and on the floor plan I want to show a switch at the bottom of the stairs, one at the top of the stairs, and one at the bedside and these switches control two sconces in the loft, how would I draw that?

Old 12-31-16, 07:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Here's a diagram of what you are doing. Two three ways and a four way. Designated on your drawing as "S3" and "S4".

Name:  4-way_switches_position.png
Views: 5285
Size:  9.9 KB

Old 12-31-16, 07:27 AM
E
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
On a floor plan, place the three switches, connect the switches with a dashed, arched line. Make the two switches at each end S3 and the one in the middle S4. Draw a dashed, arched line from one of the S3 to the closest light and connect the lights. It's as simple as that.

Since one of the switches is on a different floor and presumably a separate drawing page, use a dashed line to a Callout describing the connection to the other floor. Do this one each floor plan.

Last edited by Electromen; 12-31-16 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-31-16, 10:44 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Name:  possible-damage-house-wiring-diagrams-support-mazon-single-alternator-motor-limit-accelerator-ac.jpg
Views: 24336
Size:  48.1 KB

One example similar to what Electro said.
If folks only have B/W plotters, then dashing works well too!

Old 12-31-16, 12:03 PM
C
Is something like this drawing correct?

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-16, 01:03 PM
E
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Yes, it's mostly correct. From the last switch to the first light and light to light you only need 14/2. That's if Power is at the Entry switch.

Old 12-31-16, 05:33 PM
C
Yes, I thought that might be true after I posted it. Thank You!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: