Right way to bring wire out of wall?

Old 12-31-16, 05:07 PM
A
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Right way to bring wire out of wall?

I have an electrical tankless water heater. The original owner/electrician literally poked a hole in my wall and the two 8AWG wires come out of the wall and into the box for the water heater. Looks like hell, probably not remotely close to code.

I have two electrical disconnects that I am going to install. So...from behind the wall, it goes into the disconnects. From there, I need to get it to the water heater. What is the proper way of routing the wire? Does it need to go in some kind of conduit....like a whip of some sort?

Last edited by agdodge4x4; 12-31-16 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-31-16, 05:14 PM
C
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
You can use MC flexible conduit, or LFMC, liquid tight flexible metal conduit and appropriate fittings.

But bigger question is: how are the #6 wires run inside the wall? If they are in cable they are OK, but if they are individual conductors, they must be in conduit.

And there must be a ground.

Old 12-31-16, 05:56 PM
A
Thanks!

They both have grounds....but it is ROMEX. However, Its not individual wires. There is sheathing.

Also, I made a mistake...they are 8AWG, not 6AWG. One is 8/3 Romex and one is 8/2 Romex.

I believe this means they can be run just like romex as long as they are secured in the wall. But what about OUTSIDE the wall? It has to be in SOMETHING as it is exposed romex from the disconnect to the heater?

Old 12-31-16, 06:14 PM
Received 96 Votes on 89 Posts
If you can get to the end of the cables bring them into the disconnects,then from there use LFMC and the correct connectors as mentioned,is the 8/2 going into a time clock meter?

Old 01-01-17, 07:09 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Votes on 184 Posts
I don't know that it's not code compliant to bring the NM-B (Romex) out of the wall into the water heater, but it's certainly done that way more times than not. If the wire is not subject to damage, it is fine, though it does look messy.

I like using a 4x4 box and liquidtight conduit whip to go into the water heater.

If the water heater is more than 50' from the circuit breaker panel or not in line of sight, you should have a disconnect there too.

Old 01-01-17, 08:49 AM
A
Cool. Ill use a whip of some sort or metallic cable. I know its 'fine'. But I said that if I ever had to replace my heater, I was going to install disconnects (required since its WAY over 50' from the panel) and clean up the install a little.

Thanks!!

Next question.....Do they make a 'double' disconnect of some sort? I have two single disconnects that i was planning on installing. Both circuits come into each one...one set of wires in, one set of wires out. Thats fine, but I have to install two separate disconnects. I was curious if they sell something that I can open one lid, pull one thing out, and kill both circuits at once. This unit requires two circuits, each on a 40A double pole breaker.

Old 01-01-17, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
You are going to need two disconnects.

NM can run from the disconnect to the units if not subject to damage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: