3 Way Switch Issue

Old 01-01-17, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 Way Switch Issue

Have another issue Guys. In our basement when u walk in at the main floor it has a switch to turn the lights on then down in the basement there is a switch with the dimner to the side went out today and bought all new LED Dimmable bulbs and went to dimm them and nothing happen. Any ideas what could be causing this ?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-17, 08:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Dimmer is probably not compatible with LED bulbs. You can try a LED comparable dimmer but it is a crap shoot at best how well it will work with your bulb. You might have to try more than one brand. Second problem is that many 3-way dimmers require a special slave in the other box and sometimes even id they say they will work with a regular 3-way they won't.

Do you really need a dimmer? A simple solution if you have multiple bulbs on the switch (might work) is try using at least one incandescent bulb.

Old 01-01-17, 09:08 AM
It orginally had incandescent and went to LED and the contractor wired all 8 lights to one switch so its over whelming with light that's why looking to use the dimmer

Old 01-01-17, 09:29 AM
I failed to say too that the dimmer didnt work with the bulbs that were in there previously making me think bulbs were not dimmable and thats why i gotten the LED Dimmables so either like u said try a CFL-LED Dimmer or it is what it is

Old 01-01-17, 10:43 AM
I failed to say too that the dimmer didn't work with the bulbs that were in there previously
All incandescent bulbs are dimable and almost any dimmer will work. If incandescent bulbs won't dim you have a bad dimmer 90%+ of the time.

Lutron dimmers are often recommended for LEDs. You will need to use a slave made for it at the other switch. It won't be a straight swap. Some re-configuring of the wiring may be needed. You will probably need a neutral at the switch.

Old 01-01-17, 12:25 PM
Hoping they did the slave and just need to replace switch how would i know if is or isnt there

Old 01-01-17, 12:26 PM
Even a non-compatible LED dimmer should dim your lights if wired properly.
You might have other problems to be determined, but try any LED dimmer first.

Usually a non-compatible electronic dimmer will dim the LED's, just not down to a satisfactory level.
They might dim down to 10% or so.

To me non-compatible means you won't have full range dimming, but the dimmer should operate.

Old 01-01-17, 05:19 PM
Just a update replaced switch and now dimmer is working properly

Old 01-01-17, 06:46 PM
Good news. Thanks for letting us know.