Looking for some help with a garage project.

Old 01-01-17, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for some help with a garage project.

Hello all,

Electrical newbie here and I could use some help/confirmation/advice on a small project. I am adding some outlets to what is going to be a workbench area in my garage. Thank you for bearing with me in a lengthy post. I just want to make sure I don’t burn my house down.

Here’s the plan according to the attached picture:

A: The area previously had a few outlets and was served by the cable at A in the picture. That wire is going to be pulled back into the basement and then fed up through the bottom plate from a junction box mounted to the inside of that header joist. I’ll be using a 4x4 metal box for the junction. The path of this cable is shown in green.

B: This shows the path of another cable serving the laundry room.

C: Duplex outlet. 20” above floor.

D: Duplex outlet. 40-48” above floor.

E: Duplex outlet. 40-48” above floor.

F: Duplex outlet. Near ceiling for light fixture.

G: Duplex exterior outlet. 20” above grade.

Questions:
  1. It is my understand that garage outlets require GFCI. Do I only need one at C which then protects the rest of the outlets in the series? The exterior outlet I bought is also a GFCI.
  2. What issues arise by the presence of B? Is the route along that wall shown in green okay?
  3. What is the best way to feed E, F, and G from D?
  4. Overall, does my plan look okay? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and all posted replies. Happy New Year.

Name:  Garage Wiring.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  47.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-17, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It is my understand that garage outlets require GFCI. Do I only need one at C which then protects the rest of the outlets in the series? The exterior outlet I bought is also a GFCI.
Correct. You can protect the entire circuit with a single GFCI installed at C. The line "A" will connect to the LINE terminals of the GFCI. The new cable will connect to the LOAD terminals of the GFCI. The exterior outlet does not need to be a GFCI as it will already be protected by the one installed at C.

What issues arise by the presence of B? Is the route along that wall shown in green okay?
No issues at all. Your route is fine. You could even run the new cable through the same holes if you want. Just as long as you don't tap into the laundry circuit.

What is the best way to feed E, F, and G from D?
Best way is to just daisy chain the cable run. Just run the cable from box to box. I would suggest running from D -> F -> E -> G. That way you will only have one cable in the exterior outlet box which can get a little crowded depending the box you use.

Overall, does my plan look okay? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Yes.

Old 01-01-17, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank ya, sir! Much appreciated.