Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Bathroom Renovation Ceiling Lights, J boxes with Disc Lights or Can Lights?

Old 01-04-17, 06:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am renovating a bathroom and have it down to the studs. I am going to put in 3 lights in the ceiling, two in the bathroom space and one in the shower. None of these would be in contact with insulation, it is on a first floor bathroom so once they are in and drywall is up there is no access to the fixtures.

I was going to put in regular new construction can lights and run cfl or led bulbs, however I used the open ceiling in the bathroom to put ceiling lights in an adjacent family room. I did a lot of fishing and used 4 inch Old work round boxes and installed LED surface mount disc lights which you can either retrofit to an old can or mount to a J Box.

I am tempted to go the J box route since there is no future access to the lights. I figure I can use Led Disc lights on the J box that way there is no part of a light fixture under drywall. It worries me so much of the new construction can light is under drywall and inaccessible.

I figure if I go this route I can always put regular lights up if i wanted to, or put an old work retrofit can light up if the need ever arose.

What are some opinions?

If I did go the J box route, should I use old work boxes even though I could use a new work box? I like the old work boxes because that way I could always put an old work can light fixture in or pull the box out for access if needed.

Thanks.

Old 01-04-17, 08:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The junction box on recessed lights is accessible by dropping the housing out of the frame. Typically you remove 3 small screws and slide the housing upward.

Old 01-05-17, 10:35 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I would install what makes sense now, and worry about the future in the future.

If you like the LED disc lights, just install a J-box (or round ceiling box) and install the disc lights. You can always remove it and replace if desired. I would use a new work box since it's easier. If you do want to replace in the future, they can be pretty easily cut out.

I would also rather use a round ceiling box rather than a J-box since it's more often used for ceiling fixtures. But, it's acceptable either way.

Old 01-08-17, 02:28 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Update!

I went to the HD today and bought the rest of the disc lights that they had in stock to match the ones I have. It appears that the Led Disc lights that fit a 4'' J Box were a short lived fad. In the end It appears i did not make the best decision on going with J Boxes vs Remodel housings, but it is what it is.

All of the new ones in stock only fit traditional housings. I will have to use disc lights for the work i have done in the family room since all the boxes and wiring is in place, but in the bathroom I will use new work cans.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: