Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing an Insteon Wifi Switch and Converting a 3 way switch to an outlet

Installing an Insteon Wifi Switch and Converting a 3 way switch to an outlet

Old 01-04-17, 11:27 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Installing an Insteon Wifi Switch and Converting a 3 way switch to an outlet

Hello,

My kitchen lights have a 3 way switch. There are two separate switches.

Switch A on the left ( I would like to convert this into a power outlet)

Switch B on the right (I would like to install the insteon wifi switch 2477)

Please guide me on the correct wires to the New Insteon switch and outlet. I am unsure which wires to 'cap off'.

attachment 1: The New Insteon switch ( 1 red(load), 1 black(line), 1 neutral and 1 copper

attachment 2: Switch B on the right (2 black wires, 1 red wire, 1 ground wire, and I believe neutral wires in the back of the box)

Attachment 3: Switch A on the left ( 2 black wires, 1 red wire, 1 ground wire, and I believe neutral wires in the back of the box)

attachment 4: Kitchen lights

thanks,
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  33.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  22.2 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  17.9 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  25.8 KB

Old 01-05-17, 08:09 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
We'll need some more information before we can proceed. First off, the Insteon switch is not compatible with a traditional 3-way switch circuit. You can either reconfigure the circuit to have only the Insteon switch or you can use an Insteon switch at each location, but you can't have one Insteon switch and one standard switch.

Next, there are several ways a 3-way circuit can be wired. We'll need to know how yours is. A few possible examples (--- 2 cdr cable, === 3 cdr cable):

---power---switch1===switch2---light

---power---light---switch1===switch 2

---power---switch1===switch2
---light---/

It is important to know the configuration, because there is unlikely to be a neutral wire at each location. Only some of the boxes will be able to power the Insteon switch.

Old 01-05-17, 08:24 AM
A
Instead of buying 2 Insteon switches , I opt to just buy 1....and convert the switch 2 into an outlet

so at the moment

I would rather just have 1 insteon switch to operate the light.

right now in terms of the configuration, right now the two switches can turn on the lights, so it is more of :

---power---switch1===switch2---light

Old 01-05-17, 09:27 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If I understand your wiring this would be the basic connection. If I am wrong on your wiring post back all corrections.

Name:  G.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  24.2 KB

Other switches in the box remain connected as before. That probably means you will add two pigtails to the incoming power to supply the other switches in the first box and connect all neutrals together.

Name:  x.png
Views: 326
Size:  25.2 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 01-05-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-06-17, 08:48 PM
A
thank you for the input Ray.

So...after multiple tries...I just couldnt do it....I decided to go the lazy route, basically turn the 3 way switch into a 1 pole switch...and its working great now.

I closed the other end (outlet) just connecting the power and line together. Neutral already connected. Red wire is travel wire..didnt need it.

Dumb question though...can i just "cap" the copper wire (yellow cap)? or should i find a way to ground it?

Name:  IMG_6657.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  20.6 KBName:  IMG_6649.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  24.9 KB

Old 01-06-17, 09:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
can i just "cap" the copper wire (yellow cap)? or should i find a way to ground it?
That looks like an already attached ground wire. Your dimmer's ground should connect to it using the yellow wire nut.

If it's a spare..... not needed.... just tuck back into the box. Capped is ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: