Pre-wiring the Panel - Aesthetically pleasing prep work?

Old 01-05-17, 02:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pre-wiring the Panel - Aesthetically pleasing prep work?

Hi everyone,

My SqaureD panel is Not recessed into the wall and I currently have all of my electric runs just draped down from the ceiling. Sheetrock will be going up within days (on the ceiling) and I'm wondering what best practice or most aesthetically pleasing methods are available to me to organize the cable runs?

The panel is attached do 3/4" OSB + drywall. Should I just leave the runs draped down and notch out an inch of drywall and seal with Great Stuff? Conduit seems like it would be a pain, but I'm open to suggestions.

Any suggestions or products would be appreciated!

Old 01-05-17, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Ideally you would build a wall along the length and incorporate the panel and the associated wiring within the wall cavity. Maybe you could post a picture or two so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-05-17, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Although pictures would be helpful..... I know what you are asking.

My question is why the cables weren't drilled into the plate, brought down the wall and brought out just above the panel.

Now you'll need to fasten the cables on the surface of the wall down to the panel. Ok by code but not the neatest install.

Old 01-06-17, 07:30 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get a picture posted soon. In hindsight, it would have been a cleaner look to bring the cables through the top plate, but I guess you can chalk that mistake up to it being my first time wiring a house.

I hadn't thought of building a cavity/shell around the panel, that might be a cleaner retro-fit option.

Is there a code that requires certain cables to be housed in conduit? Specifically, an electrician friend said that if the cables enter the lower side-knockouts of the panel (below chest height) that they should be in conduit, while everything above that can be exposed. Is that code or just preference? Thanks again - I'll post a pic and circle back.

Old 01-06-17, 07:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I built a warehouse/garage at the bottom of my property and wired it 15 or so yrs ago. The box is installed on plywood over cinder block. The wires are stapled to the plywood above the box and it passed inspection. The plugs/switches are in conduit on the walls only.

Old 01-06-17, 08:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
The code requires cables subject to physical damage to be protected by conduit or other methods. It does not define physical damage. It is up to the inspector.

Old 01-06-17, 01:46 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
No matter what you chose, the cable penetrations should be sealed with fire-rated caulk or orange fire block Great Stuff foam; not standard foam.

Old 01-06-17, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
I had a customer that built a floor to ceiling box with removable plywood face.
That worked out perfectly. All the cables were protected in an air tight area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: