Dryer button is turning off the stove - why?

Reply

  #1  
Old 01-07-17, 02:26 PM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Dryer button is turning off the stove - why?

A month ago, our stacked washer/dryer unit started behaving strangely.

When you pushed the dryer button, the washer would start or stop. The dryer quit working altogether. Also, pushing the dryer button would cause the stove to turn off, even though the stove is on another breaker.

It was an older unit so after unsuccessfully troubleshooting it we came to the conclusion that there was a short somewhere we couldn't find and we junked it.

We bought a new separate washer and dryer. The washer, now on it's own separate outlet, works fine. However, the same strange behavior is happening with the dryer - pushing the dryer button turns off the stove.

This leads us to believe there is something wrong with the 220v outlet that the dryer plugs into.

We are baffled. Any ideas?
 
  #2  
Old 01-07-17, 02:30 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,583
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Please post a picture of your breaker panel with cover removed and tell us which breaker is for each appliance. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html
 
  #3  
Old 01-07-17, 02:40 PM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this acceptable?

Name:  20170107_153320.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  20170107_153413.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  40.2 KB
 

Last edited by ray2047; 01-07-17 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Rotate and enlarge images.
  #4  
Old 01-07-17, 02:59 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,583
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is this a gas or electric dryer? I'm assuming an electric dryer. Most electric dryers are 120/240 therefore I'd expect to see a red and black wire on the second breaker on the left but to me it looks like a black and white wire?
 
  #5  
Old 01-07-17, 03:39 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,965
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
While a dryer can operate on 10-2, that wiring looks awfully large for that application. In the converse, the stove wiring looks too small. I can't make out the amperage of the two breakers in question.
 
  #6  
Old 01-07-17, 04:11 PM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The dryer is 30amp, the stove is 50, the a/c is 70.

We noticed that the bonding screw at the top arced. We took out the screw, and it was very corroded. After cleaning it up and putting it back in, everything is working as it should.
 
  #7  
Old 01-07-17, 04:41 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,965
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Glad you got it working again.
 
  #8  
Old 01-07-17, 04:53 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 60,761
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
That panel is set up for an explosion.

There are supposed to be connectors attaching every cable to the box.
I don't see a single connector anywhere in that panel and most importantly
none on the service cable.


Name:  x panel.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  23.0 KB
 
  #9  
Old 01-08-17, 01:18 PM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. This got to be a little bit much for us to handle. We are going to call an electrician to come out tomorrow to hopefully get everything put into order. I am by no means experienced but I've never seen such a mess of a breaker box as we have. It is worrisome.
 
  #10  
Old 01-09-17, 07:47 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 10,754
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
We noticed that the bonding screw at the top arced. We took out the screw, and it was very corroded. After cleaning it up and putting it back in, everything is working as it should.
Hopefully your electrician will pick up on this. The dryer circuit is wrong and has never been right. You are using the bare ground conductor as a current carrying neutral which is not only a code violation, but a serious safety issue too. The reason cleaning the bonding screw fixed your problem is because you have current flowing through the bare ground conductor to the ground bar.....through the panel box......to the neutral bus. PJ is right, your panel is a nightmare and unsafe.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: