Tips for securing one side of a loose electrical box?

Old 01-08-17, 05:44 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Tips for securing one side of a loose electrical box?

My basement was framed using metal studs. The gang boxes for the outlets were set too deep. In the processing of correcting this with box extenders & spacers as needed I'm noticing another issue. The gang boxes are secured on one side to the metal stud. The other side is unsecured which allows for a lot of "give" or "springback" on the unsecured side of the box. There is no stud or anything to "anchor' that side into. So even when I correct things with extenders and spacers it is not as solid as I would like. Any ideas on essentially how to secure that side of the box (without destroying my walls) so there isn't give or "springback"?

Essentially I would need to keep that front surface of that side of the box pressed up to the back of the sheetrock

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-17, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 940 Votes on 877 Posts
I was just writing up a response describing Madison bars or box supports but just realized they keep the box from coming out the front.

The only thing I know of in your case is spray foam.
Put the box where you want it and spray a shot of foam out the back of the box.
It will expand between the back wall and the box.

The idea is to use as little as possible or the wall will be completely blocked.

Old 01-09-17, 08:24 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I'll give a second vote on the spray foam. I use one of the Great Stuff "Pro" guns with the long nozzle tip so I can get in behind the box, although the straw on the can should work if you're careful. Give a couple shots on each corner and hold the box in place for 5 minutes while it sets.