Lost electric to receptacles

Old 01-09-17, 09:33 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lost electric to receptacles

Hello to all, This is my first time here and I am beginning to learn and study electrical for residential. My question is this. In my House I have lost power to some of my outlets on one side of the wall and not the other? I have also lost power in part of my daughters room as well. Only one side though. Any ideas of what may be the cause or should I just rewire all of it? Thank you in advance to any suggestions.

Old 01-09-17, 10:08 AM
C
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It is not unusual for a single electrical circuit to supply all or parts of several rooms.

You need to identify the circuit breaker that controls those receptacles and make sure it isn't tripped. Turn it all the way off and all the way back on. You may need to map out all your circuits to figure out which one controls those receptacles...a radio that you can plug into receptacles while you flip breakers can help identify which breakers control which receptacles.

Once you know which breaker controls those receptacles, determine if there are any receptacles on that circuit that *do* work. If there are, problem is likely at the location of the last working receptacle or the first non-working receptacle.

With the power off, open the receptacles and look for poor or loose connections. Move any back stabbed connections to the side terminals. Remove wire nuts and inspect for misaligned wires and reinstall wire nuts.

That should get you started!

Old 01-09-17, 10:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
1st look around for a GCIF outlet any place in your house. Bathrooms, garage behind furniture. I have found them all over. be sure to push the reset button.

Old 01-09-17, 06:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: