Outlet Accepability


Old 04-25-01, 12:14 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Kansas City Area
Posts: 221
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone. I need a little help. I need to know if these outlets are OK to use. In my office building a suite was being refinished and the "old" electrical outlets were being discarded along with the boxes, drywall & conduit by the contractor. So I pickup a few intending to use for my shop circuit in my basement. New circuit is 12 ga romex with 20A breaker. These outlets are 125v 20A, they have one prong that is like a sideways "T", and of course grounded. But what I was concerned about were the symbols stamped on the side. One was "CU" within a round circle, the other was UL within a circle, but had the universal "/" through it. I take this to be not UL approved. Is this OK?

Since this is my shop circuit, I wanted a better outlet than the typical $.33 outlet you get at HD. However if these are not OK, then they will hit the trash immediately.

On a similar note, I frequently read in this forum advise to use the side screws on outlets & switches rather than the push-ins. Why? The push-ins make it a pain-in-the-ass if you make changes later )they never release easily). But they are certainly a lot easier to use. It seems all new residential building contractors use the push-ins. By the way, the outlets I mentioned above do not have the push-in feature.

Just curious. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-01, 12:34 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
The Cu marking means it is approved for copper use only.

The horizontal slot means the outlet is a genuine 20A,
and will accept both 15A (both slots veritcal), and 20A
(Neutral slot horizontal) plugs.

The reason not to use the push ins is that the provide
a poor connection. The reason contractors use them is
because they are quick.
Old 04-25-01, 02:42 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Kansas City Area
Posts: 221
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gary. Thanks for the info, however what about the UL symbol with a / through it? In this case is the UL Underwriters Labritories? Is it OK for me to use, or does it not meet some certain types of UL specifications?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: