pipe heating cable end seal inquiry

Old 01-11-17, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
pipe heating cable end seal inquiry

I have a length of this type of pipe heating cable connected on one end with a plug (plugged into a receptacle):
https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-210...s=frostex+9800

The other end of the cable is (was) stuck into one of this type of end seal cap thing, which is gel-filled: https://www.amazon.com/Raychem-H912-...s=raychem+h912

The end seal cap thing got inadvertently yanked off but when I try to jam the end of the cable back into the gel, it doesn't really want to stay put in there and doesn't seem very secure (is loose-like) and is doubtful the continuity for the cable circuit is happening or even if it is that it won't for long, being loose and not secure like that in the gel. What kind of gel is in there anyway? Is it some special dielectric gel? Should I try to dig all the old gel out, reinsert the end of the cable, then squeeze some new gel in? Or do I need to get a new replacement end? Do I just simply jam the end of the wire into the gel into the cap and that what completes the circuit for the heating cable to work?

Last edited by sgull; 01-11-17 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-17, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
I've never used a heat cable like this before, but it seems like there's not a specific 'connection' at the end of the cable. The cap is just to keep water from infiltrating the cable.

The gel is likely dielectric. If it's in a dry location, you can probably just wrap the end with electrical tape. Or silicone would work with the cap. Or just get a new cap!

Old 01-12-17, 11:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks Zorfdt for the helpful reply. Okay I see then. The gel, as you stated, likely dielectric, would thus of course be non-conductive, so not a 'connection' there and not what would serve to 'complete the circuit' at all.

I removed the cap and I took a non-contact voltage tester 'pen' I have and directed it at that cut end of the cable; the tester did indicate voltage so from that I believe I can probably assume the heat cable is functioning?

Also, that end of the cable is in a dry, moisture-free location, so I think there should be not really much problem leaving the cap as it is, or could wrap the end with electrical tape or get a new cap. Or maybe if not get a new cap, dig the old gel out and then refill the cap with some new dielectric gel (if I can acquire some). Or, would just regular silicone (caulk probably) serve the purpose just as well as dielectric gel?