Breaker box issues

Old 01-11-17, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker box issues

My stoves oven and burners were on and suddenly they both shut off. None of the elements would work. a few hours later I tried a burner and it worked. Today the same scenario happened only this time the burners did not return to working. I assumed that it was a problem in the stove since it did restart the first time. I went out and flipped the stove breaker off then back on and the stove started working but then suddenly stopped I went back out and flipped the breaker off and on and its working again. I notice the breaker flips very easily to the off and on positions in fact just tapping it causes it to flip off though at no time did the stove breaker ever end up in the off/blown position when I checked it when the stove stopped operating. other breakers on the panel require some force to click them back and forth. The confusing thing is the first incident the stove started working again without me touching the breaker.
I guess the bottom line is the breaker appears to be at fault not the stove. Is a breaker switch something for a DIY?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-17, 05:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Changing a breaker is in the ability of most diys. You need to be aware that most panels will have live parts even with the main breaker off.

What brand is your panel?

Old 01-11-17, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When it happens again, before you reset the breaker, push it toward the "on" position. If it moves and springs back, it is tripped. Moving it to the fully "off" position will reset it, but it requires a harder click. Breakers go bad, so if it has a lot of age on it and you can do the work, change it out for a new one.

Old 01-11-17, 06:37 PM
Just pointing out. In the case of GE Panels with Slim Style breakers (I own one), the breakers have no "trip" position. When tripped it goes fully to the off position.

Old 01-11-17, 08:29 PM
federal pacific Is the brand.

Old 01-11-17, 08:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Being you have FPE, I would advise changing the whole panel for a more modern one with a much better design and reputation.

Old 01-12-17, 05:51 AM
well for the time being to get my stove back operating properly I'll need to replace the breaker. The stove has two50s tied together. Are breakers standard sized or do I need to pull it out and take it with me to find the right size replacement?

Old 01-12-17, 07:50 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No "standard size breaker". Breakers are specific to a brand of panel. You need a two pole breaker for an FPE panel. Not "two50s tied together".

Old 01-12-17, 07:01 PM
so the two 50s that flip on and off together are called a two pole breaker?

So if they are not standard sized would I be likely to find one that fits at eg. home depot?

The panel states "circuit breaker types NA NC or NAGF" . Not sure if this indicates the type I am looking for.

Old 01-12-17, 07:41 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So if they are not standard sized
More correctly there is no such thing as a standard size breaker. As said breakers only work in the panels they are made for.
two 50s that flip on and off together are called a two pole breaker?
Yes.
would I be likely to find one that fits at eg. home depot?
Federal Pacific - Circuit Breakers - Power Distribution - *The Home Depot Of course the panels are a known fire hazard so replacing the whole panel sooner than later would be a good thing to consider. Is My Electrical Panel Safe? - Important Information About Federal Pacific Electric, Zinsco and Outdated Electric Panel Boxes

Last edited by ray2047; 01-13-17 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-13-17, 08:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those may be obsolete, especially if they are Stab-lok. You may need to find a distributor that specializes in obsolete stock or has rebuilt breakers.

You may not like the price.