One Click From Outlet Area

Old 01-13-17, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One Click From Outlet Area

I've noticed (for the last month) that I get a single random "click" type noise every couple nights that's coming from an area near an unused outlet behind my couch.

I have a brand new house (built in 2015) and it passed all the electrical code tests that were run before I moved in. I have tested all the breakers (they have a test button) and they all work properly.

This noise is NOT consistent and literally cannot be timed - but it happens at night (randomly) when I'm watching TV and there are no lights on. It literally sounds like a penny falling and hitting the bottom of a Coke can, like a switch is trying to be turned on but nothing happens...and it only happens once every other night or so.

The only thing I can think of is I added a new dimmer a while back and set up all the wires the SAME way my old dimmer was wired...and that's working perfectly, and it's on the opposite wall.

Could that be causing a random "click" noise across the room by the outlet behind my couch? I YouTube'd videos of outlets clicking and mine doesn't sound anything like those videos...those videos have a buzzing type click that repeats over and over and mine is a random click that sometimes goes away for days and comes back with a single click on random nights.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-17, 09:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 504 Votes on 474 Posts
First off.... a receptacle should not make any noise at all.

If the wiring is loose or there is a bad connection.... you could hear a sizzle or buzz when something on that same circuit but after that receptacle was turned on.

My recommendation is to turn the power off, pull the receptacle out of the wall and give it a visual check. If the wires are pushed into the back of the device.... they should be moved to the screw terminals.

Old 01-14-17, 06:26 AM
Thanks for your response. Everything is properly turned into the screw terminals. To make everything clear I don't know if it's happening at the outlet behind my catch or the lights above me - but neither are on when this occurs.

Like I said, I can not replicate the issue and it randomly happens every couple of nights...but never more than once.

I only updated a dimmer switch that controls ceiling lights in the same room (above me) and the outlet behind our couch (which is unused).

1) From everything I'm telling you does it even sound like an electrical issue? With the clicks happening days apart (or once a night) and un-replicatable I'd hate to call an electrician out here and not be able to show them anything.

Like I said, I only added a dimmer. I'm confident I installed it properly but if I somehow didn't, I assume -

A) It wouldn't work
B) I'd trip the AFCI Breaker
C) There'd be a constant type buzzing noise like in this video

https://youtu.be/7cOjABhNKKc

2) My biggest fear is of a fire starting and I just want to make sure (from everything I'm describing) that I'm not at risk of one and a breaker would trip before that occurred.

If it helps, I do have AFCI Breakers since my house was built in 2015 and I assume they'd trip before anything catastrophic occurred...but I'm no electrician so I thought I'd ask

Old 01-14-17, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
I would suspect it is not anything electrical. It is likely the sound of the lights cooling off/warming up after they have been turned off/on, or there is something inside the wall that is expanding/contracting that is making the noise. At this point I would not worry about it but just keep an eye/ear on it.

Old 01-14-17, 06:41 AM
Thanks! Appreciate your help, I'll definitely keep an eye/ear on it.

I have LED lights and it has been colder out, so who knows what this noise is...

Also, am I right to assume things would work properly since everything is new and up to code and my AFCI breaker would trip properly if I somehow wired my dimmer switch incorrectly? Everything has worked perfectly for a month but I just thought I'd ask

Thanks again.

Old 01-14-17, 06:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is there any plumbing in that wall? Do you have a recirculation pump from the water heater to the furthest water outlet?

Old 01-14-17, 07:42 AM
I do have a water outlet that the hose is connected to behind the wall on the outer side of the house...but I haven't used it in over a week I've lived here for over a year and just started hearing it last month. It definitely sounds like it's coming from inside.

I love troubleshooting things if there's an issue, but with it taking days for it to come again I can't even figure out where it's coming from...

It could be coming from the ceiling are too where the canned lights are...but those work perfectly and dim fine when testing out.

It truly is a mystery.

Old 01-14-17, 08:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, we don't know where you are located except that you are in the USA, so we don't know your climate conditions. It may help. It could be a freeze/thaw cycle of the outside faucet, although highly unlikely due to the age of the house.

Don't feel isolated. Our refrigerator (fairly new Samsung french door/two drawer) makes a clicking sound for a few seconds, then after a pause, it sounds like a small ball bearing being dropped in a narrow cylinder until the energy is expended. It's working fine, but it just don't sound right.

Old 01-14-17, 08:24 AM
I'm in FL so it's been getting a bit colder for us (30-40 degrees) but nothing out of the ordinary.

Someone mentioned to me it could be the LED canned lights I have in my family room. This is not my video, but I found it online and it replicates what I'm hearing a little bit after my lights have been turned off around the 5 second mark. Mine isn't quite this loud, but it's the closest thing I could find to compare it.

https://youtu.be/9gzF-TU7GG4

With all that being said, I'm fine with it doing that as long as there isn't a risk of fire/etc. I have two dogs who stay at home when I'm at work and just want to make sure something catastrophic doesn't occur.

So you think everything should be ok? Or at least this definitely isn't from me changing my dimmer switch lol.

Thanks

Btw - Our new fridge does that too sometimes, but randomly.

Old 01-14-17, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
Smile Don't lose any sleep over this!

These "clicks" should not be too disturbing and are probably more common in houses than you would think.

Our two story house was moved 25 years ago onto a new foundation and mostly with seasonal changes occasionally click and pop.
Not much can be done about it and all we do is jokingly suggest we set an extra place for the spirits that have awoken. :Peeping On U2:

Old 01-14-17, 08:47 AM
Thanks. Yes, our house randomly creaks too, which was new for us but it started this winter and they sound like wooden pops.

This is coming from the light area but as long as it's not concern for a fire I'm okay with it.

Old 01-14-17, 08:50 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Noises reported here before have also been found to be a lost under something toy/device with a dying battery.

Old 01-14-17, 09:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
I'm going to go kinda in a different direction here. You have said multiple times that it could be coming from
1) behind the couch
2) the light in the ceiling
3) I am not sure where its coming from.

Yet every couple of nights & randomly, while watching TV.

My TV in our bed room has built in surround sound. Sometimes, when the audio (surround sound) separates, It sometimes sound like the sound is behind me or right beside me or across the room & not in front of me at the TV... You see where I am going with this....

I would like for you to pay attention each time this happens & notice exactly whats happening on the TV when this happens. Is it a specific commercial? A specific show you're watching? These sort of things. Its possible that a specific commercial or sound byte could be being sent through a channel from your surround sound that is causing the sound to appear to be coming from another location (which is the whole intent of surround sound).

I am with some others that an electrical issue shouldn't be making any sound related to a penny dropping in a coke can. You know that & that's what is causing the mystery. Its probably coming from another source in another location that you aren't expecting. Just try to pay attention to any thing common each time, that may be related to a sound from the TV/show/commercial surround sound.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-17, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the response. I do have a Sonos Playbar with (2) Play 1's for a 5.1 Surround Sound setup...that's great advice (new angle to look at it) and I'll listen for it next time and see if it was a commercial.

I found a video that closely relates what I'm hearing and experiencing...my sound isn't as loud but at the 5 second mark this is similar to what I'm hearing.

https://youtu.be/9gzF-TU7GG4

You still think I'm good and don't need an electrician? I wouldn't have any idea what to show them since it's so random, but I just want to make sure there's no fire hazard.

Basically, can you confirm me installing a new dimmer switch wouldn't be causing this? Lol

Old 01-14-17, 11:26 AM
You don't need an electrician.
You've been in the house over a year and this is the first you've noticed this.
What have you purchased or brought into that area recently?

Old 01-14-17, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 504 Votes on 474 Posts
In that video..... the click sounds like a relay turning on. Almost like from a heating or A/C system.

Old 01-14-17, 01:53 PM
I added a Sonos Playbar + Surround Sound speakers...but that is plugged into the surge protector.

I also added the new dimmer switches...that's it. I finally got it to happen again but I had left the lights on for an hour, turned them off (TV was off too), and an hour later heard one click.

Old 01-14-17, 02:17 PM
Well, that's what mine sounds like. A relay isn't anything to be worried about though, right?

Old 01-14-17, 02:25 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A relay isn't anything to be worried about though
No, it is just an electromechanical switch and the noise is the contacts closing... if it is a relay.