3 switches....3 cables(3 wire) TOTALLY LOST!!

Old 01-14-17, 05:20 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 switches....3 cables(3 wire) TOTALLY LOST!!

First of all, ty for reading this and I'll try to be as simple as possible without the risk of being confusing. I recently broke down the main switch bow in my master that contained 2 on-off switches and one dimmer. I would like to get rid of the dimmer so I took it all apart thinking I'm smart enough to wire it back together.....well, that didn't work out. I didn't even take a picture of the prior wiring to refer to....big dummy. Anywho, there are 3 cables coming into the box and all of them are 3 wire (Black, white, red, and ground). 1 goes to the ceiling fan light, 1 goes to the fan and 1 goes to the outlets in the on the backwall of the master for lamps. I have no idea how to wire everything back considering the only wires that were previously on the switches were all black and red....all neutrals are wired together....any advice as to how to put this back together??

This is where I would upload an image...but this site isn't allowing me to...sorry

Thanks a million..
Adayofplay

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-17, 05:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Unless any of these are 3-way circuits You appear to have three switch loops wired according to 2011 and later of the NEC. That means each switch will have the black and red of a cable fastened to it. The whites aren't really used and should have been individually capped with wire nuts.

You can verify this by looking at the wiring at the devices controlled by the switches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: